Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Belgians developed the FAL. It amuses me that the Belgians wouldn't license Germany to build FALs.

Yeah, I know the Belgians developed it - but I was referring to the nomenclature that the Germans made for "assault rifles" ("sturmgewehr"). They referred to it as a "G1" - geweher (rifle) 1 - instead of an "StG1" - sturmgewehr (storm rifle) 1. They got it right - the Austrians labeled it an assault rifle. Just semantics. Either way, it is still better than an M14!

I'm sure ldp4570 is right - they were certainly still cheesed about all of those German boot prints on their soil.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So at 250 yards, you can hit your target in the eye with the AR. At the same range, you can hit the target in the head with the AK. Either way, the target is "neutralized"

AK all the way for me!

250yd head shot with an AK? Fill the air with enough bullets and I guess anything could happen.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Romanian WASR shoots head sized groups at 250 yards and man-sized groups at 400 yards. But a battle rifle it is not. I wouldn't want to use it at much farther than 400. With my M1A on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot at twice that distance.

FAL's are nice, but M-14s are more accurate and have better sights and triggers.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked my AK-47... Love how dependable and serviceable it is. Like that the design includes the cleaning rod and butt stock cleaning kit. It's all in one package that is light, and powerful with it's 7.62x39 round. It's my all time favorite bare bones gun.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one has killed the most people?

I'd say the the k98. the Germans killed a lot of folks with it. Millions of Russian, Polish, Yugos, French, etc. were killed. A large potion of those would have been from the k98. Just informed speculation on my part based off of WW2 casualty data charts. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't ever been an actual study on the subject.

I'd say that the AK47 would be right there with it, probably #2. I think that the Japanese WW2 rifle would be above the Garand by a pretty good sized margin.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say the the k98. the Germans killed a lot of folks with it. Millions of Russian, Polish, Yugos, French, etc. were killed. A large potion of those would have been from the k98. Just informed speculation on my part based off of WW2 casualty data charts. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't ever been an actual study on the subject.

I'd say that the AK47 would be right there with it, probably #2. I think that the Japanese WW2 rifle would be above the Garand by a pretty good sized margin.

With the guns listed above. My guess was the Ak

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one has killed the most people?

70 to 90 million AKs have been manufactured since 1947. With that many rifles produced and with the AK participating in every conceivable theater of war for the past 65 years I'd guess the AK has probably been the instrument of death for more souls than any other single weapon in history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom