Setting up a Trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimfire

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi, after years of thinking of it im finally taking the plunge too acquire a suppressor. Im new too NFA items and I am wondering about trusts, since i live in rogers county i don't think sheriff walton will sign considering what i've read, haven't asked or tried but i did go too school with his kids and a family member of mine is his neighbor and friends with him but i don't really think that will help. Im only planning on having a few suppressors and maybe a sbs or sbr in my collection and i would really like too avoid all the hassle with prints and stuff. Would a simple quicken home made trust be ok? Can anyone guide me too an attorney or someone experienced in nfa trusts too look it over once its completed? I am on a tight budget so i need too set up this trust on the cheap.

Thanks

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your NFA dealer will likely be able to point you to a template that has worked in the past.

If you want to get fancy with who gets what when you die, or protect your property when you get divorced or remarried, better pay a lawyer.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call Matthew Winton 405.478.4818 in Edmond. He might be able to work with you through email or over the phone. He's an actual lawyer and I believe he charges $200 for an NFA trust(which is a good deal). Anyone other than a lawyer putting together a trust for you is practicing law without a license, and I would imagine that would make your trust null and void.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trusts, wills, etc. don't need to be prepared by a lawyer to make them legal. I have 3 trusts set up now, and the one that was prepared by a lawyer was the one that had problems. However if you have no idea what your doing a lawyer that specializes in this area probably isn't a bad idea. Usually the dealer you intend to get the class 3 from can help you out.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma allows any number of revocable living trusts including the ones produced by cheap software, just a few things to watch for.
If you want anyone besides you to use your guns or cans they need to be listed as co-trustees.
you need to limit the power to those Co-trustees so they don't try to take your stuff when you go.
you need to fund your trust before you send it in....that means put your gun,can,ect into the trust before you send it in.
name it something simple!!!!!!! you will pay in the end if you don't

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whichever path you decide to take with this stuff it is not hard. Sit down, read the law and understand it. Do your research beforehand.

Big boy rules and big boy consequences do apply. Remember it's your name that will be on the paper work (yes, even with a trust). "I didn't know!!1!!" doesn't work in this game.

Just sayin'
Ek

Post Script: Remember, advice gotten off the net is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

Last edited:

wegnerracing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased my cans from Sports World. They did the original trust for free and every time I bought another one; they would just add a new last page with the item and the serial #'s. They have been great to deal with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom