Shelf life of animal medicines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been thinking that animal meds, such as antibiotics, are lots cheaper than human grade stuff. I'm wondering what the shelf life of this kind of product is, and if it can be stored at room temp or even buried a couple feet to maintain a constant temp. Thoughts?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmm in a pinch animal anti biotics might work. I wouldnt think it would matter about shelf life. If shtf and ya resort to animal meds, shelf life wont matter much.

Dont forget about antibiotics used to treat fish tanks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm in a pinch animal anti biotics might work. I wouldnt think it would matter about shelf life. If shtf and ya resort to animal meds, shelf life wont matter much.

Dont forget about antibiotics used to treat fish tanks.

This may be true with some meds but antibiotics need to be reasonably within a 2 year window of the expiration date. I think ... It's been a long time. Also, I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it bears repeating for folks who might not know -- Using the wrong antibiotic, or an antibiotic when one is not warranted "just to be on the safe side" is as bad or worse than no antibiotic at all. Don't just stock medicines, especially antibiotics -- do your research so,if the time should come, you can at least try to make an informed decision about what to use and when ...

Meds are a lot like food -- dark, dry and cool are the key words.

(By the way -- I didn't take a "human" drug until I was almost 24 ... Everything we took was "animal" drugs. My first x-ray was on the surgery table at my dad's office. He took the x-rays to ER with us and then argued with the doctor when he wanted to do another set ... :lookaroun This is either a comforting statement, or a cautionary one, depending on whether you like me or not ... :wink2:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Storage is key. Humidity will kill pills quickly and excess heat will kill the liquids. Be careful using them, as they use different binders than the human drugs. Not sayin' that I haven't done banamine in coffee after a long night, but I like my kidneys too much!

Latest posts

Top Bottom