Shield 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My gf and I each had a Shield 9. Tried as hard as we did, we just couldn’t bring ourselves to like the pistol. Sold them.

I understand. They are perfectly 'serviceable' and work wonderfully, but they're not really a lovable kind of gun. They do the trick, but aren't super exciting.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thumb safety, I just can't do a thumb safety on that gun.
The safety is not easy to accidentally to engage. It can be left off and then the gun functions just like one without the safety.

In my experience with having a Shield for EDC for several years, I have never found the safety to be on when I have left it off.

Since the one I carry does have a safety, I like to engage the safety when I am holstering the gun and then disengage it after it is holstered.

If I found a deal on one with a safety I would not hesitate to buy it.

I absolutely hate the thumb safety for the mid size and full size M&P pistols but the Shield safety has never been an issue for me.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I like mine, just wish it had an exposed hammer as I am more practiced with cocking a hammer as I draw than disengaging a safety.
My first carry gun 35 years ago was a S&W 645 so I got used to disengaging the safety during the draw without thinking about it.

When I draw my Shield I automatically push down on the safety with the knuckle of my thumb even though I keep the safety off after holstering.

This almost subconscious move happens as soon as I grip the gun before it clears the holster when I draw.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
My first carry gun 35 years ago was a S&W 645 so I got used to disengaging the safety during the draw without thinking about it.

When I draw my Shield I automatically push down on the safety with the knuckle of my thumb even though I keep the safety off after holstering.

This almost subconscious move happens as soon as I grip the gun before it clears the holster when I draw.

I grew up on SA revolvers and even with a DA catch myself cocking the hammer for the first shot. More if just plinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom