Shining Up a J&G S&W 64

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a S&W 64 VG condition and have spent the last couple nights shining it with Mothers. It is turning out pretty good other than one area. On the right side, on the face plate, if you get it in the right light it looks like it is freckled which I am guessing is some light pitting.

My question is will this eventually come out (hasn't yet) and what is the faceplate made of, stainless steel or something other and how thick is it?

Thanks in advance

The_Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, it is actually turning out pretty nice other than this one area. I didn't know if the face plate was made out of something else and that is why it more susceptible to pitting. Kind of a strange place for pitting.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is go to Wal-Mart and buy a fingernail polisher. It's a foam stick, about 6" long and it has 7 different grits of emery on it. I generally start at #4 or #5 though, as I find the others too rough. You would be very surprised, and I think very pleased with the results.

I touch up dings and do a lot of polishing with these things as they are only about $.75, and as long as you stay away from the heavy grit sections (I usually put a piece of masking tape over them), you'll come out with a mirror finish.

Stan

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself and a couple of other local members bought some of these pistols too. I replaced the grips on mine and cleaned the internals, but I am not going to worry about the minor scratches. I think they add a little character/history myself.

[Broken External Image]

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If its just a shooter/truck gun,i wouldn't worry about it but Flitz works good on stainless guns.Ace hardware has it.Made my model 60 look great and it had spent more time in the back seat than a frisky teenager.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be it Flitz or MothersMag its true value is that it makes wiping them down after shooting easier. As to looks, well you can get carried away an polish them to where they look like a high nickle finish. Then though your going to have a gun that'll shine like a diamond on the range, causing alot of glare while shooting. The model 10/13/64/65 series of guns are working guns meant for hard knocks. If you want one to look all pretty get yourself a model 66 or 67 an polish the heck out of her, put some pretty stocks and wrap her in handtooled leather for a BBQ gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom