SHOCKING ABC News on Obama/USA Infrastructure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see any mention of Obama other than his speech about the bridge. The main part of the video concentrated on the bridge in California, where it states that they turned down FEDERAL FUNDS and turned to the Chinese. If anything, this just shows how much Kommifornia fails and why their economy sucks so bad.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any mention of Obama other than his speech about the bridge. The main part of the video concentrated on the bridge in California, where it states that they turned down FEDERAL FUNDS and turned to the Chinese. If anything, this just shows how much Kommifornia fails and why their economy sucks so bad.

They turned down federal funds because if they use those funds, they have to hire union companies to build the bridge. Been that way since shortly after Obama took office. Cheaper on their end to forget the federal money and hire the Chinese.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They turned down federal funds because if they use those funds, they have to hire union companies to build the bridge. Been that way since shortly after Obama took office. Cheaper on their end to forget the federal money and hire the Chinese.

So in the end, it's Obama's fault? Just trying to figure out why the title of the thread mentions Obama/USA Infrastructure when there is little mention of Obama. I'm not saying that forcing the state to hire union companies is fair but if since they didn't accept the funds they could have just hired an American non-union company.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So in the end, it's Obama's fault? Just trying to figure out why the title of the thread mentions Obama/USA Infrastructure when there is little mention of Obama. I'm not saying that forcing the state to hire union companies is fair but if since they didn't accept the funds they could have just hired an American non-union company.

Then you get the whole union protest, PLA court battles, etc. It sucks but in a time of tight budgets it is cheaper for them to just hire Chinese companies and forget all the drama. We need to find the right balance and get all sides working with each other instead of against each other. If we do not we will all continue to lose.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and there it is...Right To Work .For Less ...in a nutshell

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you get the whole union protest, PLA court battles, etc. It sucks but in a time of tight budgets it is cheaper for them to just hire Chinese companies and forget all the drama. We need to find the right balance and get all sides working with each other instead of against each other. If we do not we will all continue to lose.

I just don't understand why the unions wouldn't be protesting against a Chinese company in the same way though...

You're right about getting all sides working together though. Seems everything coming out of the administration is more devisive than ever.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't understand why the unions wouldn't be protesting against a Chinese company in the same way though...

You're right about getting all sides working together though. Seems everything coming out of the administration is more devisive than ever.

I may be wrong, but I think the unions feel that if they can not have the job, they would rather see it go to a foreign company.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think the unions feel that if they can not have the job, they would rather see it go to a foreign company.

Rick... as a Union member I have to ask...What are you thinking? The UNION doesnt get the job...the contractor does. I dont care were the Contractors from as long as they put ME to work.

I'd explain how all that works .... signatory contractors and such... but as long as you folks are willing to think that the UNION calls the shots as to who bids what... you wouldnt understand anything any way.

I can tell you this... work costs what it costs. The profit margin in construction work is totally dictated by how well the project is managed. Government work sucks... the feds dictate a lot of terms on contracts that inflate prices...prevailing wage regulations are a drop in the bucket compared to all the other stuff thats in a Goverment contract.
We have taken over some pretty big projects that were way behind... after the customers fired the "non-union" contractors... turned those jobs around... brought them in on time... and the companies who hired us made money.

Most of you folks dont know that on a Construction project... the union and non union companies that bid the work wont be that far appart... but the non union help gets paid less.... the profit goes into the Company owners pocket. My time is worth as much as I can get... I'd rather do my job ONCE the right way... and get my cut of the pie based on my value. Most of the signatory contractors I know are very well off and make plenty of money... and treat the workers they employ very well. That means good equipment and tools... and very good job site managers who know how to get the work done in the correct order... that's were the money is made.

Good labor is not cheap. "Value" is the fact that a trained person, directed well, will produce more GOOD work in one attempt than a hacker being mangaged by a unprofesional General Forman and Superintendant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom