Shooting Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more:

Scoffers, beware!!! For we heard a voice crying in the wilderness, saying 'Make way!! Make way for the Great and Shining Day of the MSF, for the shooters of the revolver and the shooters of the 45 ACP and the 1911 will lament greatly, putting on ashes and garments of sackcloth and saying, Why did we not do as we were warned by the Master himself. For we were foolish and stiff-necked, refusing to heed the message of the MSF, our Salvation.

And lo! it came to pass that we asked if we might go back into the light so that we might warn our brothers who yet shoot the revolver and the 1911 and the 45 ACP in order that they might avoid this evil place of eternal Torment, and we were told Nay ye may not. Your brothers have had warning enough. For the writings of the Master are there. They can read them whenever they want.

And behold! our lamentations were great; there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And we returned to the outer darkness.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Behold! Methinks thou hast impressedeth all who read these words of truth, yea, words from on high!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Very entertaining! I guess I'm dead where I sit with my little pre model 30 in 32 S&W tucked in my pants. I shouldn't even try to fight, lay down my arms and give up!
BTW, which KS forum? I'd like to go lurk a bit.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your arthritis is on your left side, ya need your cane in the right. Cane in the left hand could really make it worse. Maybe your should start transitioning to left hand carry

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from my range and think it might be interesting to some of you to report. I used my cane as a distraction like some have suggested, and was almost as good in my shooting as I usually am. I'm encouraged but I'm still not quite where I want to be; I still need to work on using my cane more. So, assuming good weather tomorrow, I'll be out once more.

The gun was my current EDC, a 4" S&W 686.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doing mostly point-shooting, I put about 40-50 rounds down-range today, and then with the wind blowing like a mad bastard, I simply got too cold. Shot while stationary and while moving and I hit the evil pizza box every time. I tried both dropping the cane and throwing it down and tried single-shots, double and triple taps and emptying the gun into the target.

I did well with my point shooting, hip shooting, whatever you want to call it.

My shot placement is good, but an area that I need to work on is the draw. I am pretty fast, but it could be a bit faster. so some more practice with an unloaded gun is in order.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the members of the Kansas forum suggesrted that I start with the target to one side and as I walk in that direction, draw and fire the gun. Here is a report I did from the Kansas forum:
The bore and chambers of my 686 are soaking in Hoppe's right now, and I can honestly report a very encouraging session doing the drill suggested by [the member]. Like I said above, it was a bit less awkward doing it with the target to my left, but I think that the slight clumsiness of shooting to my right will go away as I practice it. Indeed, it did become a bit easier during this session. Doing it with the target on my left side, it was fairly easy to get solid hits while I was moving towards the evil pizza box,

What I did was to walk towards the target at an angle and then, while walking, draw the 686 and fire at the target. I used one hand for the vast majority of the session and I was really pretty accurate. This was one time that I did well with my draw and fire routine and I am pleased with the way I performed today. The gun was in my peripheral vision while I was shooting but I did not use the sights themselves much, if at all.

The 686 is a superb handgun, one of the best revolvers ever made by anyone.

In all, a very good and very fun day.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So am I to understand that no one has ever successfully defended themselves with a revolver? Who would have thunk it?. I wish Jelly Bryce was still around so I could have informed him of the futility of the weapon he carried cause it just won't work

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So am I to understand that no one has ever successfully defended themselves with a revolver? Who would have thunk it?. I wish Jelly Bryce was still around so I could have informed him of the futility of the weapon he carried cause it just won't work
Yes; I know what you mean, there. To be fair, the guy in Kansas doesn't go quite that far. He seems to parrot Rob Pincus a lot and is, like Pincus, a devotee of striker fired pistols. When I told him that was better with a wheelgun, he told me that I was 'in denial', and a bunch of other stuff.

You either do things his way or you're a 'fudd' a 'hobbyist' or 'you're not serious about self-defense'. Needless to say, he is not popular on the Kansas boards. He says that it is due to the ideas that he presents; (you know, they really upset those nasty old fudds) but the real reason is that he is an obnoxious prick. Pardon my French.

Latest posts

Top Bottom