Shooting New AR15 at 200 Yards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I built my first AR-15 chambered in 5.56 NATO, and so far it has performed well, but I haven't really stretched the legs on it cause I didn't really have any decent optics, and I don't have the budget for a Vortex or anything close to it. My experience with optics have been whatever you can get on Amazon or eBay, and believe it or not, I've ended up with some pretty decent scopes. Anyway, I went to Happy Hollow Gun Club yesterday and tried my luck at 200 yards. I wished I would have saved my 100 yard targets, but I didn't. I had some decent 5-shot groups, and estimated them to be about 2 - 2.5 MOA.

I also made the mistake of not using "shoot-n-see" targets at 200 yards, so I had no idea where my shots were hitting and therefore couldn't make any adjustments. I unloaded 2x 20-round mags on 2 separate targets. The first target (orange target from BakerTargets.com) I used Speer Gold Dot Duty Ammunition (64 grain) that I picked up from PSA on a weekend deal, and I pretty much got what I expected. 17 rounds found paper, and I think I lost the other 3 to the left due to wind drift.

The second target (an 8.5 x 11" sight-in target I printed at home) I used Hornaday .223 Black 75 grain. I didn't know what to expect with this ammo, but the guy at Academy told me that he had spoken with several people that swore by it. So I gave it a try, and the groups were much tighter than the Speer Gold Dot - all 20 rounds found the paper, and I can for sure say that the fliers were definitely me anticipating recoil.

My upper came from MAS Defense...stainless steel, 1:8 twist, 16", mid-length gas. Also, I was using a bipod when shooting on both targets.

I really don't know what to expect from a 16" AR setup at 200 yards, because I'm new to this, and I've never shot a rifle at that range before. For the scope, I was using a Center Pointe 4-14x40 that I picked up from Walmart. It's a pretty decent optic, believe it or not.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and suggestions on how I can improve. I really enjoyed shooting long-range, and want to continue to get better. Also, if any of you know the right ammo I should be using for 200 yard target shooting, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.32.44 PM.png

PY-A-5790_CenterPoint-416x40-AO-Rifle.jpg

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right, I'm sorry. I didn't think to include the size of the squares on the targets I posted. The first target (the top one - baker targets.com) the squares are 1/2", so 4 squares equals 1" x 1". On the smaller target, the squares are smaller, and each square is about 1/3 of an inch, so 9 squares (3 across, and 3 down) equals 1' x 1".

The trigger is a standard mil spec trigger (but polished) that came with an APOC Armory lower parts kit, and it has a 3.5 lb JP Enterprises trigger spring kit on it. The hand guard is a 15" MLok, and I don't know what brand. It is unbranded. The muzzle device is a two-piece brake. It is a standard 3-hole comp with external threads for a sound redirector sleeve (picture attached)

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.38.38 PM.png

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free floated handguard then. Trigger travel will kill you on those AR's. I have never found a muzzle device, besides a suppressor, that didnt hurt my groups. The regular bird cage on my 223 gun would shoot 3moa all day. Took the bird cage off and it would go under 1moa. Same ammo. That one may not hurt or may even help. Just sayen, definitely shoot it without it just to check.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Handloads all the way.
I have never had decent ammo since 2009 that came from a store.
I really like the centerpoint scopes..4-16x40 with AO You need to be able to adjust when you start to crank up the power.

Cheek position needs to be the same..The hold for both hands needs to be the same,, as does the shoulder pressure.
All this adds up.. if you let the gun free recoil and then shoulder it tight the impacts will be way far apart.

Now knowing this you need to concentrate on hold and body position.
You can have a very crappy trigger and still turn in good groups.

You just need to know do not jerk it as you will pull it off the target.
Slow and steady and keep everything spot on.
You can dry fire or use ammo dumy rounds to dry fire.. just fill a primer hole with silicone. Or E6000 way stiffer than most silicone.

You will need to try many different types of ammo before you find what your gun really likes best.
Do not test them at 100 yards.. go to 200 unless you can't hold steady at 200.

If the scope AO is not set right Parallax will be causing bad groups, Unless you position your head and cheek exactly the same place every time, not a 1/4" off the same spot.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sell all that colored crap off your rifle and buy a nicer scope. Thing is when you really need the rifle is when the scope is gonna crap out. Nice shooting tho

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that car in high school that you always wanted, and then when you grow up, instead of buying a new car like your other grown-up friends, you go and find your high school dream car and buy it? (okay, some people do this)....this rifle is like that car for me. I always wanted to build a red and black "show" setup like this, and so I did. I understand that some people may not like it, but it definitely turns a lot of heads at the range, and as a result, I've been able to help 3 people (I met at the range) build custom AR-15's in the last month.

My next build (on a Black Rain Ordnance billet lower) is going to be an SPR build, 18" Wilson Combat .223 Wylde match grade fluted barrel, with all BLUE parts! Just kidding. It's going to be all black (because black rifles matter). I will spare no expense for a good optic on the SPR build, and I'll be going with Rise Armament's RA-535 single stage 3.5lb drop-in trigger. Did you guys know that Rise Armament is based out of Broken Arrow? Interesting fun fact.

I just don't feel like an AR-15 with a 16" barrel needs or deserves an expensive long-range optic, since it is really more effective at shorter ranges / CQB, and I can get by just fine with a red dot/reflex or short range variable scope like my Bushnell AR 1-4x24.

That being said, THANK YOU for all of your input. I am definitely going back this weekend to try again with the same ammo, WITHOUT the muzzle brake. I am very interested to find out how it affects POI. I would have never guessed that the brake would make that big of a difference!

Swampratt — I'm still trying to find the most comfortable (and consistent) shooting position...I have always shot better in prone position, but I can't shoot prone at Happy Hallow, which kinda sucks. So when shooting from a bench, I turn to the right so my body is sort of facing the rifle, and my left hand across my body to support the stock against my right shoulder. My left elbow is on the bench to support and stabilize. I've just always shot like that. So, I'm going to take this guy's advice, and get some shooting bags: http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-98-shooting-a-rifle-from-a-benchrest/. I just think that it is sometimes better to train or shoot at the range like you are going to shoot in the field when hunting or in a defensive situation. I don't take shooting bags when I go hunting. But, I guess it is a good way to remove the shooter's ability to screw everything up so you can actually test the accuracy of the rifle.

Thanks again. Peace out.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it, but had to give you a hard time.

I don't much care for the rise trigger as it's single stage has a really short reset and have seen it double a few times at the Pawnee R&G. Id strongly recommend a Geissele SSA-E, the 2 stage is much better.

Last edited:

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always shot better off the ground than off a bench as well but I been doing so much off a bench lately that Im getting better at it.

I have a friend that has an AR and it might not have been in a 223, I cant remember, but it shot so bad with his muzzle device you wouldnt believe me if I told you. Then he took it off and it went to something you could work with, around 2moa I think. But I cant remember if it was a bird cage or a brake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom