Shooting New AR15 at 200 Yards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always shot better off the ground than off a bench as well but I been doing so much off a bench lately that Im getting better at it.

I have a friend that has an AR and it might not have been in a 223, I cant remember, but it shot so bad with his muzzle device you wouldnt believe me if I told you. Then he took it off and it went to something you could work with, around 2moa I think. But I cant remember if it was a bird cage or a brake.

This kind of defeats the purpose of the brake, doesn't it? Well, really for a flash hider, I suppose. You don't want the target / enemy to be able to locate your position, so you use a comp or flash hider in order to conceal the muzzle flash......but you can't hit your target with the muzzle device on the barrel, sooooooo......does anyone know if the brake / comp / flash hider still affects accuracy if it is mounted inside an OTB suppressor? It seems like all of the suppressor manufacturers are doing this now so you don't have to remove your brake to install your can.....lots of adapters out there that work as decent compensators and also function as the mating adapter for your suppressor. Just wondering....in light of this new discovery (for me anyway), would you guys recommend doing a direct-thread on can and just eliminating the muzzle brake from the equation? I only ask because I'm building two suppressors right now....well, when my paperwork comes back I will be building two suppressors. I'm building two .30 cal cans that will also be able to handle 223/5.56 — mainly because I want to be able to shoot my SPR suppressed.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge....and for busting my chops. :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a centerpoint scope on my 30-06 It shook the glass from 3 scopes the factory one was what came on it Mossberg 100 atr.
The next 2 scopes were Bushnells. This 4-16 centerpoint has been on for many years and held zero through 100's of rounds even my 155 gr 3200 fps rounds that will make you wonder why you keep chambering another pulling the trigger.

That centerpoint is designed for air and pellet rifles.
Mine has fallen 10 feet to the ground out of a tree and never changed zero.
Fell off the back of a 4 wheeler and tumbled on the hard ground.. never lost zero.

I had a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my savage 10fp .308 and could get a best group of 3/4" at 100 yards because the reticle was that wide at 100 yards.
I tried a Centerpoint 4-16x40 it was just as clear and smaller reticle . I could not shoot 3/4" at 200 and see the holes I can see the holes at 300 also.

The new style centerpoint scopes are a little different than the older centerpoints I actually noticed more ghosting when the sun gets low.
I currently have a Tasco Target Varmit on my .223 and my .308 6-24x42,, it is Ok Tasco has never failed me.
Sorry Tasco haters.

My Jerry Miculeck brake on the savage axis changes impact area but accuracy is below MOA but not with store ammo.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/how-do-suppressors-affect-accuracy/

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This kind of defeats the purpose of the brake, doesn't it? Well, really for a flash hider, I suppose. You don't want the target / enemy to be able to locate your position, so you use a comp or flash hider in order to conceal the muzzle flash......but you can't hit your target with the muzzle device on the barrel, sooooooo......does anyone know if the brake / comp / flash hider still affects accuracy if it is mounted inside an OTB suppressor? It seems like all of the suppressor manufacturers are doing this now so you don't have to remove your brake to install your can.....lots of adapters out there that work as decent compensators and also function as the mating adapter for your suppressor. Just wondering....in light of this new discovery (for me anyway), would you guys recommend doing a direct-thread on can and just eliminating the muzzle brake from the equation? I only ask because I'm building two suppressors right now....well, when my paperwork comes back I will be building two suppressors. I'm building two .30 cal cans that will also be able to handle 223/5.56 — mainly because I want to be able to shoot my SPR suppressed.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge....and for busting my chops. :)

Man those are just extreme examples of whats possible. Poor machining or design is probably what caused it. Or hell it could have been having strikes for all we know because it was so bad. Or just the harmonics of the barrel wouldnt get along with it.
I also have a Miculeck brake and on my 223 ar it really didnt hurt my groups any and I put it on a friends Colt AR and it went from 1" to 3". That gun just didnt like it. Might could have switched ammo and went back to 1" but we just run thread protectors and suppressors.
Most of the time they dont effect a thing but its free to check. I hope it shoots just as good with it as it does without.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I shoot off a bench or the ground or top of my car I use a bag most of the time.
It is a homemade bag from leftover vinyl scraps and has some used up walnut media in it.

I forgot my bags one time and took a brown paper sack filled it with sand from a mole hill and taped it all up with duct tape.
Worked great. that was a real sand bag.

I found best accuracy with the bipod folded up like it would be if you stuck it in the gun case.
Place the bipod right on top of a bag.. this keeps the gun from tilting right to left.. secure the rear of the rifle in a bag or just wad up a towel and put under the stock and then shoulder it.

You can take old jeans leg or a long sleeve shirt sleeve and fill with rice or whatever and sew it shut.
Instant shooting bag...Or you can buy one.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG
My JP comp shoots just fine and is priced right. Here it is on my R&G rifle, Noveske barrel and 77 IMI prob helps in the accuracy dept. Target above is first 3 rounds out of it. SSA-E trigger FYI

My SBR has the breakout to go with the SDN-6 suppressor and I haven't noticed any issues with accuracy, however it's more for blasting than accuracy.

I think the comp problem is overstated.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My JP comp shoots just fine and is priced right. Here it is on my R&G rifle, Noveske barrel and 77 IMI prob helps in the accuracy dept. Target above is first 3 rounds out of it. SSA-E trigger FYI

My SBR has the breakout to go with the SDN-6 suppressor and I haven't noticed any issues with accuracy, however it's more for blasting than accuracy.

I think the comp problem is overstated.
That is a nice 200 yd group!!!!

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in light of this new discovery (for me anyway), would you guys recommend doing a direct-thread on can and just eliminating the muzzle brake from the equation

I would go direct thread it may take a few extra seconds to take on and off, but saves you money from having to buy an adapter for each rifle qand you know it is on correctly.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that car in high school that you always wanted, and then when you grow up, instead of buying a new car like your other grown-up friends, you go and find your high school dream car and buy it? (okay, some people do this)....this rifle is like that car for me. I always wanted to build a red and black "show" setup like this, and so I did. I understand that some people may not like it, but it definitely turns a lot of heads at the range, and as a result, I've been able to help 3 people (I met at the range) build custom AR-15's in the last month.
When my wife was in labor with our first daughter, we drove to the hospital in a bright orange 1969 Pontiac Firebird. I get what you are saying about pretty guns. I have a bad need to buy a set of real ivory grips for my Les Baer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom