Shooting rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a quick fix to put something together, years ago, I took a white carpenters apron and filled both pouches with rice and taped them up really good with duct tape. Even after buying new rest I've continued to use that for years and it's still working like a charm and very flexible. You can double it over or unfold it and just use one layer. You can use the attached strings to tie it together and make it higher. I've recently been using it unfolded under my back rest to raise it a bit or sometimes use it under my elbow if it starts feeling sore.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got it done... picks and step-by-step instructions...
IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg
IMG_4953.jpg

Instructions:
1) Put top of sock over bottle of tiny beads
2) Begin pouring tiny beads into sock
***THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP, DO NOT VARY!***
3) When you get half the beads in the sock, release top of sock from bottle, dumping the really tiny beads into the shag carpet
4) Spend the next 30 minutes picking extremely tiny beads out of shag carpet
4a) While doing this be sure and have 2 inquisitive boxers (any breed will work here, of course the bigger the better) help you
5) After this, bounce sock until beads have consumed half of the sock (This doubles as a better opportunity to receive help from said boxers)
6) Tie sock in a knot, wrap remaining sock back over itself
7) Throw sock at boxers only to have them bring it back to you, because of course you began a game for them.
8) Your done! go shooting!

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also had another idea, which would be under $20 for a more stable rest. Wally World had a $15 workout pad, I think was like 4 or 5 ft X 2 ft X 1/2" thick. Would take longer, but you could get a solid backing (I have some small scraps of 1/4" plywood) cut to like 8x8 inches. cut strips of workout mat, starting 2 - 8x8, then stair-step apart, increasing the gap in the middle at say 1/4 or 1/2" increments. Cut these until it is say 5" high, drill 2 holes about 3/8" from one end, in each corner, approx. 1-1 1/2" in from the sides. put a couple of those cheap mountain climbing "D" clamp looking thingies in the holes. Tape it all up with duct tape, then you have a small, light, very sturdy shooting rest, that will clip on your range bag... Probably when it's all said and done, I guess you can spend as much as $30, but would be more sturdy, light, and transportable than the ones you buy.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I bought the stuff I used, I spent $21 for this one, $14 for the biggest tub of beads they had (used all), $7 for the socks. I bought heavy-duty work socks, was a 2 pair pack, so I will make at least a couple more, since I have a lot of rice that has been in the freezer for a few years, lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom