Shooting rifle left handed and right handed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many times while hunting and perched on a tree limb or sitting on the ground a critter comes up from an odd position that makes shooting left handed easier and produces less movement.
I am right handed.
Do you guys shoot right and left handed when the need presents itself?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is something that probably needs its own thread but I have to ask I shoot left handed and I am right eye dominant I can’t hit anything with the kids guns or my son in laws sorry swampratt

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Left dominate eye ….. Right handed.

Until mid teens, I shot right handed. I tried to shoot bow and I learned about dominate eyes. switched to left eye shooting and bought a 870remington shotgun when they came out.

When in army, they rigged. M16 to throw brass from my face.

Over the years, I purchased left hand guns or those that shot well either way …. I could shot either handed.

Then a few years ago, I lost eye sight in left eye …… now I shoot only right handed

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All true riflemen can and should be able to do this
Your absolutely correct. Pistolero's should be able to do the same with some reasonable measure of accuracy.
All of that comes with practice and in some cases on the range some have to use a blinder in their safety glasses to block the wandering eye. Hunting/ self defense not so much.
You need to practice, and practice a lot. It's an odd feeling but if you don't practice, you will never master shooting off hand.
What if you lose the use of your shooting arm during a gunfight and have to switch? You'd better know what to expect.
Falls right into my rant that a semi auto shotgun is the only home SD shotgun I'd ever use. Losing a limb to a shot negates using the pump gun with any speed.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One night on the perimeter at Chu Lai a buddy took a round to the right shoulder. After Doc stopped the bleeding he started shooting lefty. After that I tried it every chance I could, got half way decent.

Now when I practice with my defensive pistol I end the session shooting some right only, some left only, and some malfunction drills.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm right handed but left eye dominant so all my life I shot long guns left handed until I got my first AR and decided to try shooting right handed. Fortunately I am able to shoot equally well either way.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just need to practice more if you are the odd duck with the left or right eye not being in sync with your hands.
Friend of mine is left eye dominate but right handed shoots pistols just fine and had never shot a rifle.
I was watching as she cocked her head over the scope trying to get a sight picture.
STOP!
I said just close your left eye.
Took her a few minutes but she out shot her husband. But just by 1/4", still a win :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom