Shooting Suppressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a Suppressor a couple of weeks ago and haven't really spent a lot of time with it until today. Unfortunately didn't take pics.
Took a new 5.56 Stainless upper with a 1:8 twist and Wylde chambered as well as a Browning Stainless Stalker bolt gun in 30-06 that is my elk rifle.
Started with the AR, two different brands of ammo in 62 grain and reloads in 55 grain. All FMJ boat tail bullets.
Tried all three ammo types and could not get a group. Nothing even consistent. I'd get two touching and one flyer an inch and a half away. One flyer high, another left, another low. No rhyme or reason to what was going on.
Removed the suppressor, put the birdcage flash suppressor back on and got groups well under 1 MOA consistently. Don't know for sure, but I suspect the can is having something to do with the barrel harmonics. I'll try it again later. Have a cover ordered for the can to reduce the mirage when it gets hot. It's in, but won't get it until tomorrow, so the added weight might change the harmonics and improve it? Don't know.
On the other hand, the 30-06 loved the can. Sierra 165 grain Hollow point boat tails were Sub MOA and the recoil was reduced by 30% or more. Ran 30 rounds through it with 3 shot groups remaining tight even with a hot barrel.

I know several others on here have suppressed rifles. Anyone having the problems I did with the AR platform?

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had similar issues with my first suppressor and this is why I prefer to use adjustable gas blocks on ARs I'll shoot suppressed; controlling your gas can make a huge difference. Sometimes a simple buffer swap is needed shooting subs vs supers (I know you only posted shooting supers, but something to keep in mind) if you aren't using an adjustable gas block.

Are you using a brake/flash-hider adapter or direct thread?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had similar issues with my first suppressor and this is why I prefer to use adjustable gas blocks on ARs I'll shoot suppressed; controlling your gas can make a huge difference. Sometimes a simple buffer swap is needed shooting subs vs supers (I know you only posted shooting supers, but something to keep in mind) if you aren't using an adjustable gas block.

Are you using a brake/flash-hider adapter or direct thread?
Direct thread. Silencerco Harvester

Edit: The upper appears to be gassed pretty well. All rounds fell into a pile at 2:00.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brand of barrel? If threads and shoulder aren't cut right (which is common on cheaper barrels) you're going to have problems...

The fact that the bolt gun shot well with it makes me think it's the gas or barrel... I'd expect some POI shift, but not a reduction of accuracy (usually the opposite) unless something is off (threads, gas, etc...).

Any other ARs to try it on?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap upper picked up on a Primary Arms flash sale for $159, no BCG or charging handle. It is a heavy profile SS 18" W/rifle length gas.
It shoots good with the birdcage flash suppressor, but not the can, so I think the barrel is good to go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Using a .30 caliber can on a .223 rifle leaves a lot of room between the bullet and baffles to interfere with the flight plan from gasses bouncing around.
That was a concern as well, but shouldn't the gasses be behind the bullet?

Edit: Had to think about that a minute. I understand what your saying now.

Last edited:

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took these shots at 50yards with wolf gold 223 out of a Daniel Defense m4v5lw. Bottom left is with my 30 cal yhm ti phantom qd. Bottom right is with a Silencerco saker 556 with yhm qd mount. Top right is no suppressor.

C969FB3F-7BD8-4FCE-A39C-47EDD912F02D.jpeg
CB1D4F2C-6B66-47DD-8A76-053C1FC62891.jpeg
555AE4F6-C38A-47EF-AC34-33AD360374B4.jpeg
473946D7-4B63-464A-9698-3C52A518D095.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom