1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Shooting swinging steel with BB's???

Discussion in 'Shooting Chat' started by sh00ter, Dec 14, 2020.

1. sh00ter

sh00ter Sharpshooter

I have some of these (https://www.crosman.com/crosman-dual-target-pack) to plink with my pellet guns (outdoors), but I also have some lower velocity CO2 BB-only pistols (sub 500fps), and I wondered about plinking swinging steel targets with BB's?

I always wear eye protection and I've already test-tried it from 10yrds and the BB's seem to deflect down onto the hay bales the targets sit on and have not ricochet back at me yet. I figured the fact the targets can move and the BB's not moving too fast would keep it safe enough, but I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if this is in fact safe?

Of course I'd never shoot steel BB's at a fixed hard target. My typical targets are aluminum cans, but the cans don't last long so it would be nice to have the alternative I could shoot maintenance-free :)

2. CorpsVet

CorpsVet Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    A paper plate taped to a piece of cardboard makes a cheap easily replaceable target.

Glock 40 likes this.
  3. Free Trapper

Free Trapper Repeat Offender

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Glock 40 likes this.
  4. rickm

rickm Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I always used a cardboard box with rags stuffed inside so i could reuse the BB's dont know if i was that cheap or that poor lol

5. Shinneryfarmer

Shinneryfarmer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I was that poor in those days did the same thing.

6. Okie4570

Okie4570 Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    Safety glass will be on anyway, shoot it. Heck we used to shoot each other on purpose with them lol.

rlongnt and p238shooter like this.
  7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If I felt good about the quality of my eye pro, heck ya, targets should move enough to send the bb downward.. Have a good magnet handy should ya find 1 enters your skin.. Used that trick on a kid many moons ago..

8. sh00ter

sh00ter Sharpshooter

Yeah but not as cool for plinking...I use targets for sight-in & pellet testing of course though

I like the idea of rags...right now in the garage I have a box stuffed with other boxes and I do use a magnet to re-use the BB's. But when it comes time to make a new box I always grumble...I am thinking about trying one of those archery targets instead but then the BB's would be buried forever LOL.

Yes I can top that, we used to do it in the 80's with full faced helmets while riding 3-wheelers (remember those) playing cops & robbers.

Honestly, I am okay with it, but I am using BB guns to help train my wife and potentially other family members and I don't want to fail the safety test myself as they are trusting me as the range master :). There is a guy online who plinks and I see him do it all the time, but you guys have never steered me wrong so I wanted to ask anyway. I think the key is being back far enough, BUT, I just thought of someone who is learning might not be as good of shot and hit the metal frame...nothing like turning you off of guns than to have a ricochet...perhaps I will stick to cans for anyone but me.

Okie4570 likes this.
  9. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Cans are good for sharp shots, I'm calling in the D of dr pepper kinda shots.. The rubber targets that move when hit are good too, which I think I've seen atwoods and know there on amazon..

10. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Nilla Wafers stood up on something soft work pretty good as a visible indicator when hit.

Once bounce back to the face of a beginner shooter or woman might cause gun trust issues for awhile.

Glock 40 likes this.