Shooting the Sig Sauer MPX-PBS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took advantage of the 10% off sale that FBT had for a few days and snagged a Sig MPX Gen 2 with folding arm brace. I'd been jonesing for one of these for quite some time, but the price had me waffling. Then I did the math where a quality AR build in 9mm would cost me (dedicated billet lower) and realized it wouldn't be that much cheaper than the MPX. Plus, it wouldn't be as "cool" as a semi-auto approximation of the MP-5, a creature I thought was so rad for years. Then the FBT sale came along..

My gf and I went to Red Castle this morning and set up at their plinking range. We put out upside-down QuikTrip cups and shot at them from about 25 yards with Blazer Brass 9mm 124-grain FMJ ammo. After getting the red dot dialed in, we found the MPX would bounce the cups with regularity, and we could even "walk" them up the berm despite their propensity for sliding or rolling back down.

I was quite impressed with the very mild recoil of the MPX, after having had a 9mm AR that was definitely sharper in that regard. Muzzle rise was minimal, and double taps were no problem. The A2-style birdcage flash hider did a nice job keeping the blast from coming back into our faces, too. The Magpul AFG-2 I installed made for a more comfortable hold on that short hand guard, but that was the only thing I've done so far - the MPX is that good for me. The trigger wasn't bad at all - definitely not as horrible as the reports online made it out to be. Perhaps I got lucky with a trigger that was put together "just right," or else I'm not as finicky as some about the feel of the trigger. It's not as nice as the drop-in Velocity or Timney triggers I have in my AR's, but I wouldn't ding it for sure.

There was one fly in the ointment, however. My gf and I found that the bolt would occasionally fail to pick up a new round, or else the round would get hung up, causing the bolt to stop halfway into battery. This happened five or six times out of the 250 rounds we put through the MPX. I thought it might have been caused by failing to fully seat the magazine, as it fell out once after my gf experienced the ftf issue, but slapping the bottom of the magazine after loading it didn't seem to cure the problem. I didn't have another magazine with me to determine if it was a mag-related issue, though. Next time I go back, I'll be sure to try another one.

That aside, the MPX was a real pleasure to shoot. All the more so when we picked it back up after shooting our 5.56 AR carbines - we were struck again by how mild the MPX is when the trigger is pulled. It was such fun that we did experience another potentially negative issue.

It goes through ammo too fast.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did yours come with the flip up sights? I heard the new ones from this year ship without sights.

Yes, it did. They're decent but nothing to write home about, and they sit fairly low when deployed. Not being spring-loaded so they pop up with the push of a button is a bit of a deduction for Sig, IMHO.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a gen 1 about a year ago and love it. Just waiting on the stamp as I decided to SBR it can't wait should be any week now. It's fun popping from target to target.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the MPX. It has quickly become one of my favorite to take to the range. Just recently got a 4.5" barrel, hope to install and take it out soon.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a related note, has anyone tried running an MPX pistol or an AR pistol in a rifle training class? I was wondering if there's any such training in Green Country where you can get better using one of those critters, perhaps with a single point sling pushed out from the shoulder.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the MPX SBR in jail with Steve. Mine didn't come with sights. Have you looked at replacing the trigger? Everything I have been reading online says the trigger is crappy. Has yours smoothed out?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the MPX SBR in jail with Steve. Mine didn't come with sights. Have you looked at replacing the trigger? Everything I have been reading online says the trigger is crappy. Has yours smoothed out?

I've considered doing the paperwork to SBR my MPX, but I'm reluctant to hobble myself with the paperwork and extra legal restrictions. I researched a trigger replacement, but Sig recommends against it because the impulse of the 9mm action beats up the trigger assembly something fierce. Geissele says their triggers will handle the abuse; in fact, they plan to introduce a version of the SSA trigger specifically for the MPX. When, I don't know.

I've only put 250 rounds through mine so far, but the trigger really isn't that bad. Nothing that has me beating a path to the best deal online for an SSA or SSA-E trigger, though I do plan to do such a swap someday.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Finally! After 311 days I recieved my SBR stamp! Can't wait to take it to the range.

i1125.photobucket.com_albums_l592_jmeggenberg_B86F9326_1956_4DD1_88AC_3DEB2A0252FE_zpstffimtr1.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom