Shooting With Both Eyes Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have understood the importance of learning to shoot with both eyes open for some time. I tried it for a few minutes a couple of months ago and gave up since all I saw was double of everything.

I can honestly say that I amazed how easy it really is to "train your brain" to do this. I saw a tip online that really helped and I wanted to share it. This can be done (following all safety rules of course) easily at home with dry fire practice. Actually, you never have to pull the trigger.

Begin with the gun up as though you are going to shoot. Have your weak eye closed and then slowly open it while staying focused on the front site. Follow these steps for about a half an hour for a couple of days and it will train your brain and before you know it you will instinctly keep both eyes open when you go to aim!

I hope this helps!

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesse try putting a piece of scotch tape over the lense of your non dominate eye. Practice live or dry fire and eventually your eye will learn what it needs to do.
The clear tape still let's light in and forces the dominant eye to take over.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always squint my other eye a little to force my brain to focus on the sharper image. Works well for me at least.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always squint my other eye a little to force my brain to focus on the sharper image. Works well for me at least.

That's what I do as well since I'm cross-dominent. Rifle shooting with a red dot works easy for me without the need to squint, but not a pistol with irons.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you positive that what you are calling your 'weak' eye, your left eye, is not your dominate eye?

i may be wrong, but usually a person who is right handed, and right eye dominate, will not get double vision. I said USUALLY but not impossible.

double vision usually comes about from a person who is shooting right handed and trying to use their right eye to align sights, but whose left eye is dominate. (of visa versa if you are left handed)

but to contridict what i just said, i have always been right eye dominate, but at one time my left eye vision changed and became MUCH better than my right eye. My brain then tried to use the image from the left eye when lining up sights. To get around this i closed my left eye.

anyway, good luck with this and I hope it works out for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom