Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern semi-autos malfunction less frequently than they used to but they still malfunction more frequently than the operator gets his arm blown off.
I'm not taking that chance. I'm like the other poster that disagreed with you. I've seen way too many people short stroke a pump gun during times of stress in the field when hunting and they are experience gun owners.
Now extrapolate that into someone that picks up a cheap pump gun, never oils it, shoots a half box of shells through it at a pile of dirt, never patterns the gun, doesn't have a clue what a choke is and does and thinks they are ready for a tactical situation in the middle of the night with someone shooting at them.
You haven't convinced me with your argument.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you guys crack me up. “Oh you might as well have a hope and a prayer and a crucifix as use an 870.”
In your very faces I laugh.
I’m pretty sure a Marine started this thread who knows a little bit about what he’s doing in his own house

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought about a Semi, a Beretta FP1201 in fact. Since all I ever used in the Marine Corps and Law Enforcement was a pump, I went with the 870.

You're very familiar with it, whereas my entire family shoots O/U any time we hunt or shoot clays. The semiauto works well, take the safety off and pull trigger, again and again if needed.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you and the other household potential shotgun users are familiar with and have strong manipulation skills developed with your 870 then that's the right shotgun. If the users are more proficient with the Mossberg 590 then that's the one. The 1100 is a great clay bird and field hunting choice however not as dependable as the 870/590 genre. Other tactical semi auto shotguns are more dependable and can hammer out lots of lead quickly. Hanging a tactical light on it is likely a good idea. An extended shell tube is a good idea too. An 18-20" barrel may be the best choice. Shell selection loaded up first depends on your expected area to need to defend. A side saddle with a couple other choices on it could be handy. Low recoil slugs, 00 buck and a few #6 bird shot are my choices to have onboard a defensive shotgun.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't keep from racking the action full open when firing. I tried and tried on the trap range so I could catch my hull for reloading. I could stop myself from closing the action but not from opening it all of the way. I think you will be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom