Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both and am comfortable with both. Now what am I supposed to do?? What a perdicament you have put me in.
Grab the one that's closest. That's what I'm going to do. I have a Remington model 870 special purpose marine magnum stashed somewhere within the compound and keep a Benelli M4 close to bedside. TP thieves BEWARE I'm watching you!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't mine, but it is the right model:

FNH-TPS-Tactical-Police-Shotgun_100962007_88531_B88FCD10B9A3DD062.jpg

Mine has been slightly upgraded. I put a nice grippy Hogue forend, nicer AR stock and grip, oversized trigger guard and a 6-shot side saddle. Loaded up with Winchester PDX1 segmenting slug/buckshot combo shells. 11 rounds of that total. I also put an inexpensive reflex sight on it.

Overall, it's just one in my multiple options (and locations) of HD weaponry.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have an 870 in 20ga with #3 buck and I have great confidence in it,

I do wish the ammo manufacturers would get more creative than the regular #3 buck round though.
The federal flitecontrol wad and cup with #1 buck would be awesome if they would produce it.
There must not be enough demand in 20ga to justify that.:coffee2:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
870 ought to be renamed the 435 because it's only half as good as folks think. I have taught shotgun classes all over the world and without a doubt the gun that gives the most problems in classes is the 870. Now some of the older ones were great, but starting in the 90s the quality suffered greatly. If you have one that runs, great! But I would never advise a new shooter to get one for H.D. work. As for 20 gauge and 3 buck? It will knock em dead full o lead. Sounds like yours runs, so great choice.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
870 ought to be renamed the 435 because it's only half as good as folks think. I have taught shotgun classes all over the world and without a doubt the gun that gives the most problems in classes is the 870. Now some of the older ones were great, but starting in the 90s the quality suffered greatly. If you have one that runs, great! But I would never advise a new shooter to get one for H.D. work. As for 20 gauge and 3 buck? It will knock em dead full o lead. Sounds like yours runs, so great choice.
I would think overall that the detachable magazine fed shotguns would be the ones with the most problems. What are your thoughts on those?

Latest posts

Top Bottom