Shotgun for sporting clays, dove, and pheasant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WafflesX3

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hunting/sporting noob here. Did my first dove hunt and sporting clay shoot in the past year. I have a pheasant hunt coming this November. I'm looking to buy a 12-gauge that can handle all three shoots. Shopping the Internet, I'm considering the Beretta A300 or maybe the Weatherby SA-08.

Anyone got some advice?

I shot a Mossberg 500 at the dove hunt and borrowed a semi auto for the sporting clays. I've got a Mossberg 500 for HD with the 18.5" barrel. Don't want to switch the barrel out for hunting since that's my wife's HD weapon.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have never hunted phasant before but plenty of clays and doves and always used my Rem 870 w/36 inch full choke barrel on it and it never let me down. But it all comes down to learning what your gun can do and learn to use it accurately.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Benelli M2
The Benelli m2 is a great gun, I have one setup for 3 gun competition. I have a CZ 720, that is a great gun too.
The CZ is about $500-$600 and the Benelli is about $1000-1100.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting/sporting noob here. Did my first dove hunt and sporting clay shoot in the past year. I have a pheasant hunt coming this November. I'm looking to buy a 12-gauge that can handle all three shoots. Shopping the Internet, I'm considering the Beretta A300 or maybe the Weatherby SA-08.

Anyone got some advice?

I shot a Mossberg 500 at the dove hunt and borrowed a semi auto for the sporting clays. I've got a Mossberg 500 for HD with the 18.5" barrel. Don't want to switch the barrel out for hunting since that's my wife's HD weapon.
Welcome to OSA!

benelli montefeltro would be my choice @ around $700. Beautiful, reliable, well made guns. If on a budget, a good ol Remington 1100 is tough to beat.
Agreed. Mossberg 930 would also be a good budget option.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you didn't mention budget.
Here is a little secret.......a single shot in competent hands will perform just as well as the most expensive shotgun out there. The disadvantage is the single shot.
Give us a little more info about what your wanting to spend. I shoot competition, but shoot a lot more hunting small game and upland specie.
I've probably killed more dove with a H&R single shot .410 than ever with a 12 ga. Reason was at the time it was the only gun I owned and had to learn to hit with it. Range was 15-20 yds max. One had to learn to be a better hunter vs having a master blaster that covered the sky with pellets out to 40+ yds.
Some think you have to use a 3 1/2", 2oz load of fancy Bismuth pellets to kill a turkey or duck. Not true. One needs to be a better hunter with the weapon you own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom