ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a home defense shotgun, before you answer please think about your answer and give me the reason why. Which do you think would be better, semi or pump. This gun will be used for no other reason then SD in my home, so please don't recommend a Spa or some other high dollar weapon.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dont give recommendations on the internet , but Ill keep an eye on this thread so I can see who thinks they are gurus. this should be fun..

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking for a home defense shotgun, before you answer please think about your answer and give me the reason why. Which do you think would be better, semi or pump. This gun will be used for no other reason then SD in my home, so please don't recommend a Spa or some other high dollar weapon.

Well, if money is tight , the Mossberg 500's work. If money doesn't matter a lot, but it's gotta be under say $500, go with a Benelli Nova, Dick's has nice HD ones for good prices. If money is no concern whatsoever the more expensive Benelli semi Autos are suweeeeet!

As for my experience, by which I make this reccomendation... I have owned a couple of different Mossy 500s and while they were great guns, one did start to give me problem later in its life, but always cycled fine. It just started light striking primers. The other 500 gun I had was a police trade in, and it still ran like a champ.

The 3 870's I have owned or used extensively all ran great, but the newer ones just always felt like they had sand in the action. I had an old 870 police trade in, and it was smooth and nice, but still doesn't compare to the smoothness of my Nova. Love my Nova, and while like I said, a cheap Mossberg will do the job, my suggestion would be a Nova.

As far as pump vs Semi, I would suggest a Semi, but not a cheap one. Reason I say a semi is that it can be used one handed if you have to open a door, hold onto a child, are hurt, or anything else.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was kinda leaning towards a semi in a 20ga. olyeller I have the highest respect for your opinion, if you don't want it public please pm me with it. Thanks Mitch, this is the kind of info I'm looking for.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no expert and I have no statistics or studies to back me up but I'd bet that there have been more failures of a "reliable" pump gun from short stroking because of user error under duress than there have been of a good quality auto loader failing. So don't necesarily buy into the "pump is more reliable than a auto" theory.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert and I have no statistics or studies to back me up but I'd bet that there have been more failures of a "reliable" pump gun from short stroking because of user error under duress than there have been of a good quality auto loader failing. So don't necesarily buy into the "pump is more reliable than a auto" theory.

^^^^^
I'm voting semi-auto as well.
As had been said, should you lose a limb because of injury, or carrying something, you can still have access to multiple rounds.
Pumps can be racked one handed, but its cumbersome, and slow.
Buy the best gun you think your family's lives are worth.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to skimp on the quality, I just think there are reliable guns out there for less then $1500. I have been looking at a Franchi Law, I just don't want to have $1500 tied up in a gun that "Pray to God" I will never use.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was much younger I had a Benelli M1 Super 90. It was all decked out with a Surefire forend and I probably had $1000 in it. One night I was in the middle of a battle with some skunks and as a skunk was charging towards me, it jammed. I now have 870s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom