ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another +1 for semiauto 20ga. Semiauto for the reasons previously stated - one hand use, etc., as well as not having to worry about remembering to pump when excited and stressed (happens - heck, I've gotten distracted at the range and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shoot afterward). 20ga because it's completely adequate at HD ranges with 2-3/4" #3 buck loads which will don't beat up the shooter and allow faster recovery. Also generally lighter and more easily handled, especially useful if any smaller statured individuals are going to be handling it. I'm actually in the process right now of changing from a 12ga pump to a 20ga semiauto as the primary HD gun for essentially those reasons.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was much younger I had a Benelli M1 Super 90. It was all decked out with a Surefire forend and I probably had $1000 in it. One night I was in the middle of a battle with some skunks and as a skunk was charging towards me, it jammed. I now have 870s.

your decking out probably was the problem

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This would be my recommendation for someone that could afford it.

They may be found elsewhere at a better price, but this link has the specs.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-1100-tac-4-12ga-22in-barrel-82801-047700828015.aspx

The reasons are ...

Semi Auto

22" barrel for reliable gas operation

8 round capacity

Then there is this one if it fits in your budget.

http://www.impactguns.com/fn-slp-mk1-self-loading-police-shotgun-12ga-22-inch-81rd-3088929022-818513009782.aspx

Same reasons as the Remington, but is supposed to be ultra reliable, at a price, of course.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a maverick 88 that was $189. Never failed, fires anything, and if anyone breaks in while I'm not home, I'm only out a 189 dollar shotgun. But that's what works for me. I've been eyeing a 20ga semi as well

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
beretta 1200fp or 1201fp. Fast, effective, and a bit less than a benelli. They can be found used if you look well within the money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot the same lot number/brand/shot load of ammo in practice as your going to use for SD.

Shooting WM dove load for practice, and loading buck/slug that has never been shot is a recipe for disaster when you don't need it.

1 1/8 oz shot loads will cycle the gun differently than a 1 oz slug/buck.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spend at least $2000 and get a Benelli! Then set it up for three gun and your set.
Thats what our military uses.
And I'm sure all the gurus will agree.

I'm not a guru but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet you can find peace of mind in a nice lightly used 870/590 or similar with a front bead. Make sure it cycles, test fire it two dozen times to make sure it didn't fall off the truck. Then load it, lock it, leave it, and don't forget to aim if you have to use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom