ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do you want a 20 vs a 12 for reasons? if there is no hard reason, a 12 is going to give you more pellets per load and thus a higher percentage of stopping the guy.
Well, yes - assuming you're shooting the same size pellets in each. But for HD use a better comparison might be between 12ga 00 = 9 .33 caliber pellets, 20ga #3 = 20 .25 caliber pellets. Both have approximately the same velocity so we're still talking about a significant amount of energy transferred to the target, and at HD distances both typically pattern about the size of your fist. And there's the advantage of a lighter gun with less recoil.

One of the "real" Shotgun Guru's, Massad Ayoob, did a really good writeup on using a 20ga for HD a few years ago. Link: Consider the 20-gauge shotgun

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True - operating a pump gun doesn't require motor skills as fine as playing the violin. But doing anything effectively in a situation where you feel your life and those of your loved ones may be at risk while at the same time trying to stay aware of anything and everything else going on around you, especially if you also just happen to be in the dark, makes everything different. If the shoot/pump motion hasn't become so automatic to you that you do it without even thinking about it the chances go way up that you'll muff it - either by short stroking or forgetting entirely - and you may not have a second chance.

Creating that kind of habitual muscle memory takes hundreds if not thousands of repetitions over an extended period of time to be most effective. It's even better if the actual conditions can be simulated, but most of us don't have access to a moving target range at night - especially not one where success is as critical as it is in an HD situation, and where the targets shoot back. Even those that shoot a lot and are highly familiar with guns in general and their own in particular can find themselves less capable than they thought they were. Think of it like practicing with target loads but having magnum slugs in the gun for HD use - in addition to everything else that's going on the shooter is now dealing with something for which they may be less prepared than they expected they would be. Basically, anything that serves to reduce the number of variables in the entire equation is a "good" thing.

Not to say that a pump gun doesn't work for some or even many people as every shooter and every situation is different - but a semiautomatic is a safer bet for most, in many cases even those with previous experience with a pump. I thought differently once, but realized that in the end there's a reasonable probability that when needed the semi will be more effective than the pump - and while I may be just as good with a pump I wouldn't bet my life and that of my loved ones on it. That's why I now have a 20ga semi sitting in the safe next to my 12ga pump - at least during the day. You can probably guess from the above which one's at the side of the bed at night.

Since the OP asked for "and why", that's mine. :)

Your why is a whole lot bigger than mine.:)

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only gun I would trust my ass too would be a Benelli M1/M2 that I've shot a bunch so I know the gun/ammo combo is legit. Any add on part even a mag tube can cause malfunctions on shotgun so you gotta test then thoroughly. By thoroughly I mean 100's or 1000's of shells.

I have less malfunctions with my auto loaders than my pumps because I can't short stroke an auto under stress like I can with a pump.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i helped a woman who's husband got her a semi for HD. I cannot remember the make or model. I have owned and shot a lot of shotguns over the years. The point is, this was the most complicated semi i have ever seen in regards to loading and unloading - it took an extra step from the norm. of shooting it was easy, just keep pulling the trigger to keep firing. but loading and unloading was a read chore. she lived with her daughter and wanted to unload every morning and load every evening - this was her desire due to her daughter being home by herself and the mother not wanting a loaded gun around. I showed her my pump, how easy it was, and she was kind of like, why the heck did my husband buy me such a complicated gun. another weird thing was the the gun would not cycle when i shot it, i am 6'3" and 240, it would cycle when she cycled it - she maybe weighed 110. go figure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i helped a woman who's husband got her a semi for HD. I cannot remember the make or model. I have owned and shot a lot of shotguns over the years. The point is, this was the most complicated semi i have ever seen in regards to loading and unloading - it took an extra step from the norm. of shooting it was easy, just keep pulling the trigger to keep firing. but loading and unloading was a read chore. she lived with her daughter and wanted to unload every morning and load every evening - this was her desire due to her daughter being home by herself and the mother not wanting a loaded gun around. I showed her my pump, how easy it was, and she was kind of like, why the heck did my husband buy me such a complicated gun. another weird thing was the the gun would not cycle when i shot it, i am 6'3" and 240, it would cycle when she cycled it - she maybe weighed 110. go figure.

What is the difference in loading an 870 vs an 1100?
Complicated? I don't see where your coming from, but I'm always open to learning.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter who has shot more rounds than anyone else. What matters is that YOU have shot enough rounds to thoroughly prove the system WITH the ammo that you are going to use for HD....AND you know the manual of arms for the system (weapons manipulation). If you aren't willing to put in the time to learn your system, you better program our speed dialer and pray. Any shotgun will do for HD work, and in the example of the woman, I doubt she would be any better off with one over the other because she probably hasn't put in the time, or won't, to be well versed with ANYTHING! In her case "simple is better'....but "to be better is simply best"....and that takes time on the system!

Latest posts

Top Bottom