ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This story is a practical application of the previous post of Kurt's about 2 pages back, about knowing your platform; ie actually training with a gun that might save your life.

My brother was just in town, with his new wife. We went shooting while they were here. They got to shoot rifles, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, centerfire, rimfire; a bunch of stuff one afternoon.
My bro, now that he's married, had his heart set on getting a shotgun for home defense; hes not a gun guy like me.
You know what I told him? Get a steel framed, .38 revolver. My brother is most likely no different that the folks you guys are advising on training and what shotgun to get.

Good intentions, but most likely, a gun purchased as a defensive weapon with gather dust.

Unless someone shows me on their own initiative that they are not lazy with gun training, and I have reason to think they wont use that shotgun as a talisman to ward off intruders Ill only then suggest anything other than a revolver. Thats why I hardly do internet anymore; Sheep dont need sweater salesmen.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
NickatKimber, yes I am saying that with adequate training a person is much better served with an auto.

No I have never said giving a neophyte an auto makes them an expert, nor any other weapon system.

In TTowns defence he clearly states that there is more than meets the eye for home defence and eludes to where people go etc. I know that when I say don't hunt in your own house, what I mean is find a place in your home where everyone behind you is where you consider safe, and hold that area. If folks are scattered all over the house, you very well may have to do some clearing to round them all up into your safe zone.

If an 1100/1187 doesn't clear out by just racking the bolt back and forth, your interceptor latch is not in time.

I should probably go get mine checked out then. I maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Finally..Denis...RIGHT ON! Years behind a system is what we are talking about, when we say manual of arm...knowing the system inside and out!

That's why mine isn't by the bed, I haven't trained/practiced with my shotgun (or any) to be comfortable with it being by my bedside at night.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those not intent on spending lots of time and money would be better off keeping it simple. Z06's are great and all unless you aren't familiar with manual transmissions.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little back ground on me. I have spent more time clearing rooms with a shotgun then 99.99999% of anyone on this board and most of anyone you have ever heard about. "No Kidding" in the Marine's I was on a special weapons base and for 3 years we trained 4 days a week and ran drills while on duty. I want to thank you for all the input that has been shared. I just won the shotgun I want off Gun Broker, it is a Beretta 1201 FP 12ga with buttstock and pistol grip. Anyone who wants to look at it is #348192285 on GB. Thanks again, the reason I ask for input was all we used were the Remingtons and was wondering what would be better.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A little back ground on me. I have spent more time clearing rooms with a shotgun then 99.99999% of anyone on this board and most of anyone you have ever heard about. "No Kidding" in the Marine's I was on a special weapons base and for 3 years we trained 4 days a week and ran drills while on duty. I want to thank you for all the input that has been shared. I just won the shotgun I want off Gun Broker, it is a Beretta 1201 FP 12ga with buttstock and pistol grip. Anyone who wants to look at it is #348192285 on GB. Thanks again, the reason I ask for input was all we used were the Remingtons and was wondering what would be better.

Be sure to post a review on how it runs!

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Jimmy! My two cents; semis can be pickier about ammo, change the follower on an 870 if it is the chromed version, not a Mossberg fan (if you run into me, ask me the address for their repair facility, I even have the zip code down) and there is no such thing as muscle memory. And practice with whatever you have for God's sake!

Latest posts

Top Bottom