ShotGun Guru's....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a maverick 88 that was $189. Never failed, fires anything, and if anyone breaks in while I'm not home, I'm only out a 189 dollar shotgun. But that's what works for me. I've been eyeing a 20ga semi as well

If you're not gonna shoot the crap out of it; that Maverick 88 is a good value. I just have more shotgun time behind a plain old pump action Moss 500 or Rem 870... I like racking a solid 12 gauge pump almost as much as I like that oh-so-very-nice-recoil!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like the old adage says, "every felon out there knows the sound of an 870 slide being racked in the dark."

My sister was asking about something for protection after FINALLY getting her ex-POS hub out of the house. She wanted a shotgun, but was scared to death of recoil. I found a nice, used 870 in .410 at a gun show. Took it to a gunsmith buddy where I cut 3" off of an old 12 ga. barrel and welded it on the end of the .410.
Loaded with 3" 7 1/2s turns a liver into hamburger that no Dr. is going to repair. The ex shows up drunk and tried to kick the door in. She racks the slide as he kicks in the door and ALL he sees is a 12 ga. pipe at the end of his nose. He crapped his pants and left QUICKLY. Never to return. She has had that 870 for 30+ years.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little back ground on me. I have spent more time clearing rooms with a shotgun then 99.99999% of anyone on this board and most of anyone you have ever heard about. "No Kidding" in the Marine's I was on a special weapons base and for 3 years we trained 4 days a week and ran drills while on duty. I want to thank you for all the input that has been shared. I just won the shotgun I want off Gun Broker, it is a Beretta 1201 FP 12ga with buttstock and pistol grip. Anyone who wants to look at it is #348192285 on GB. Thanks again, the reason I ask for input was all we used were the Remingtons and was wondering what would be better.

You are gonna Really like that 1201. I have a 1200fp currently and have owned a during ban 1201fp with the shorter mag. You can send hella lead down range with it!!

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little back ground on me. I have spent more time clearing rooms with a shotgun then 99.99999% of anyone on this board and most of anyone you have ever heard about. "No Kidding" in the Marine's I was on a special weapons base and for 3 years we trained 4 days a week and ran drills while on duty. I want to thank you for all the input that has been shared. I just won the shotgun I want off Gun Broker, it is a Beretta 1201 FP 12ga with buttstock and pistol grip. Anyone who wants to look at it is #348192285 on GB. Thanks again, the reason I ask for input was all we used were the Remingtons and was wondering what would be better.

That gun looks great! Pretty good price on it too. I'd say you made a solid choice.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am late to the game and not a shotgun guru not even by a mile. However having said that, I have to laugh at the posts saying "shoot it enough to make sure it functions and then load it and leave it", same for the "I dont want to spend $$$$ on a shotgun I hope to have to shoot exactly zero times."

You all should be taking every gun you consider a defensive weapon with you with some regularity to the range to shoot it. Even if only for 20-50 rounds to stay proficient with it's trigger break, action manipulation, controls manipulation, familiarity with pattern at various ranges, etc. Sure it's like riding a bike and you'll never forget (so long as you don't have multiple shotguns that have slight differences) but have you ever seen a 40 year old man ride a bike who hasn't ridden one in ten years? Sure he can do it but it's ugly for the first little bit. He might be able to pedal but he may be thinking in his mind "does moving this lever up make the gear go up? Or was it down? In this application that short little bit could be your life. Ride your bike at least once a month. It's also a good way to ensure your bike is always in good condition mechanically.

Just my .02 from a professed non-guru, and obviously when I say bike, I mean wife.

My recomendation for a pump is the Winchester SXP, because it is the fastest factory pump shotgun in the world and shooting it one handed the action will cycle itself, in stock form.

My recommendation in a semi auto would be Winchester SX3, it is reliable and can be had in a "defensive" setup from the factory. I would refrain from making any changes to a shotgun, especially a semi auto, for a defensive gun.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was kinda leaning towards a semi in a 20ga. olyeller I have the highest respect for your opinion, if you don't want it public please pm me with it. Thanks Mitch, this is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Gunshow, Rem 1100 20ga.

1100 = over 5M sold, RELIABLE, AVAILABLE, QUALITY, PRICE! I have 2 in 20ga (1 on 12ga receiver and 1 one LTW) + 16ga + 12ga) Well, I did before that unfortunate boating incident. :teehee:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Benelli M1 Tactical Super 90 12 gauge for my home defense shotgun but they are so expensive I can't bear to keep it out of the safe and now it sits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom