1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Should OK extend carry rights to citizens of...

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by Rez Exelon, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Isn’t that what reciprocity is all about? You honor ours and we honor yours. If we honor theirs and they don’t honor ours, we need to take them off our list.

2. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Not gonna change that state's policy one iota.
    Still, let everyone carry a gun. Oklahoma has loads of folks carrying every day, our crime ain't too bad, subtract the "urban" crime and we're REALLY a safe place to live. Having that example to compare against Chicago, LA, those places serves as an illustration that guns are not the problem, the occupants of those cities are the problem.

The anti=gunners know that, they simply want to gloss over the issue. The plainer we make it, the harder it is for them to justify their claims.

3. TeamTomlyn

TeamTomlyn Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I may be over simplifying things here but...

American Citizen = Carry whatever gun makes you happy and doesn't hurt your back.

4. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I dunno. Although I don’t think lowering ourselves to their level is the right thing to do, I do think there is some validity to the idea that reciprocity should actually be reciprocal, or to the idea that it could be used as leverage to help increase the freedom of our brothers and sisters in those states.

5. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Oregon is quite Liberal, so it doesn't surprise me at all.

6. Matt Giroux

Matt Giroux Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Only parts of Oregon, the main areas most people know of (Portland) are extremely liberal. However I've got many friends in southern Oregon and Northern California that are a different breed of Gun lovers.

dennishoddy likes this.
  7. Rez Exelon

Rez Exelon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You probably stated my line of thinking better than I did here in your last two sentences!

Having spent a lot of time in Oregon recently, I'd say it's basically as redneck as Oklahoma once you are out of Portland and maybe a few other select major metros. Just more trees, mountains and waterfalls in a lot of parts of the landscape. Really, outside of not honoring reciprocity, and allowing metros like Portland to define what counts as "loaded" in a vehicle their laws seem pretty similar to ours of about 4-5 years ago. OC is legal through the whole state except for where those metros have redefined what "loaded" means. Portland for instance I believe defines loaded as having any ammo in magazines in the vehicle with the gun for instance.

8. corneileous

corneileous Sharpshooter

Although even though I do agree with you on that, I still don’t think that’s a very good idea because to my understanding, once you start allowing the government to come in and tell the states like California, New York and New Jersey to open up and allow other states to carry in their state, all you’re doing is just opening up a big world of more and more government control. There was another gun forum I used to frequent a lot that had a big conversation about that national reciprocity thing and some of the things they said, if you really paid attention, would really change your opinion on this national reciprocity thing.

I really don’t have any desire to ever go back to California but if I ever did, it would be nice to be able to carry my pistol with me on my whole trip there and in there but in order to do that because of what California is, it would require basically asking the federal government to step in and force them to allow us to carry in their state. Basically taking away their rights to limit who gets to do what in their state. Is that what you want to happen everywhere? And how that would pave the road for other things for the government to come in and take rights away from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawhide, DavidMcMillan and TedKennedy like this.
  9. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Sorry, I should of made my statement clearer. I just want the different states to get together and figure this out on their own.

10. corneileous

corneileous Sharpshooter

But why, though? I mean, I see your point, and I see the point of the OP but, what does it matter what other states do? Who cares if Oklahoma will allow California residents for example to carry their pistol over here but California won’t allow us to carry there? What would taking them off our list do for us? Nothing. And it sure as heck ain’t going to mean anything to California because if it did, they would be offering reciprocity back to us but since they don’t, they could care less if we take them off our list or not. I just think it makes Oklahoma a lot more of a great state to live in because he’ll, even back before the law went into effect when Oklahoma became a full on Constitutional carry state, Oklahoma I think, was allowing all but like,three or four of the other previous Constitutional carry states carry their pistols in our state without a permit even while we Oklahoma residents, still had to have a permit long before before November 1 of that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy and DavidMcMillan like this.