Shower pan installation help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
johnbridge FTMFW.

Also, I'd look into the Schluter Kerdi shower system. We just had one put in and it's a helluva good system. johnbridge forum has alot of info on it, too. Matter of fact, I've got some materials left over if you decide you want to buy a kit but it's not QUITE big enough (some membrane and 2 curbs).

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shower pans are easy peasy. The tear out will take 3x the time the install takes, especially since your old pan is going to be lead. Always, always, always take the extra 30 minutes to jackhammer out the old ptrap and replace it. I could talk my wife through putting the pan down over the phone. Watch the videos and if you still have questions, give me a shout. Advice over the phone is always free, which isnt a word you hear a plumber say very often.... :)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shower pans are easy peasy. The tear out will take 3x the time the install takes, especially since your old pan is going to be lead. Always, always, always take the extra 30 minutes to jackhammer out the old ptrap and replace it. I could talk my wife through putting the pan down over the phone. Watch the videos and if you still have questions, give me a shout. Advice over the phone is always free, which isnt a word you hear a plumber say very often.... :)

+1 on replacing the trap, will have to replace the drain anyway to match up with whatever system he uses. The hardest part for me was the pre-slope, then mudding in the pan. I cheated and made some guide strips then pulled them and mudded in where they were.

I hear alot of good things about the membranes but I have no experience with them.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see more brand new pans leak because some DA tile guy didnt replace an old cast iron ptrap and drain. Worst is when they try and use the old drain with a new pan. IT WILL NOT WORK!!! At least for very long. I hate seeing the look of heartbreak on a customers face who cheaped out and didnt have a plumber put down the pan with a test before tile, and only a year after a brand new bathroom remodel I have to tell them that their pan is leaking. Especially worse when Billy Bob's tile wont answer the customer's phone calls.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well If you determine that DIY is not what you want to do and you cannot find any help, we have a plumber at my work that does side work and I could get his contact information for you to discuss what needs to be done. I do not work for the fella and do not know what he charges, but I know hes a good guy and been a plumber for quite a few years. Just shoot me a PM if would like for me to get your his number.

Latest posts

Top Bottom