1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

shtf milsurps

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by ronny, May 20, 2012.

1. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The original premise was cheap to buy and cheap to operate. Sort of limits the use of Garands.

2. redmax51

redmax51 Sharpshooter

^^This, I'm also surprised how many people mention the M1 Carbine.They haven't been "inexpensive" in many years.Semi auto=SKS,bolt gun there are many choices.

3. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This kind of thread always gets sidetracked. People like to talk about what they like to talk about.

Actually, it's a pretty dumb thread. Unless you're talking bolt guns, there are very few candidates the way I set it up. Wasn't thinking.

4. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Me too though JB brings up a good point. They would make a good option for certain limited situations.

I talked to a Korean war vet about a month ago and he had one for about 3 days. After he was rushed by an enemy trying to bayonet him "I gave him 15 rounds as he was coming at me, ran dry, deflected his charge, and that Chinaman just kept on going! Probably deep into China, I never did find him". He was able to turn it in and got a Garand very shortly after that. Probably be a bit better with HP or SP ammo, but I wouldn't want one, not with ball. Why is it they are so expensive? :scratch:

5. orangevale

orangevale Marksman

My Y2K setup was a Norinco SKS and Howa M1 carbine. Howa is not a Milsurp, built post war by the Japanese for the Thai police. Fun fact; the Chinese chest packs designed for 7.62x39 stripper clips will also accommodate about eleven, 15 round M1 magazines.

6. doorgunner

doorgunner Sharpshooter

M-1's , SKS, and AK's, OH my! For me, its CETME or FAL. I know, you guys said cheap. Well, you can get a good CETME for less than 600, and a FAL for right about that (not a DSA of course). Ammo you say? Since both have a tendancy to chew brass, and if the zombies (or liberals) knock on the door, your gonna be on the move anyway so reloading isnt an option. Monarch 150 steel cased all day long at 7.99 a box. Cheap mags, piston operated, whats not to like?

7. CCF

CCF Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    For a SHTF milsurp sideram, you can't beat the CZ82. It was recently classified as a C&R.

Great gun. DA/SA trigger and holds 12+1. Great ergos (at least for me). Similar in size to a Glock 19. It also has a frame mounted mag release like we're used to instead of the traditional European heel release.

8. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

IF I could pick any, even outside of what I have, it would be the FN-49 in 7X57!

9. Ak47saiga

Ak47saiga Guest

my shtf milsurp would be the mosin nagant, 100$. another 100$ can buy me 550 rounds of something that is accurate out to 400-600 yards with iron sites. and Sks's are known to SLAMFIRE due to the firing pins setup in the bolt body of the gun. can also use my gun as a spear. can get yourself some stripper clips and tactic wise i alwways wear a belt and it comes with those old little holster things that hold about 50 extra rounds. shot placement's all you need.
    my 2 cents.

10. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm going to look at a Marlin Camp 9 today. Don't know condition and price yet, but they are generally a little out of the "inexpensive" categaory. I'll let you know what happened.