SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Currency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past year, I've heard everyone extol the virtues of silver and gold as a post-shtf form of currency.

Looks like they were all wrong,

Looking at the classifieds over the course of the past few days, it looks like plastic, brass and lead will be among the most used currencies.

Lotsa trades offering mags for mags, ammo for ammo, ammo for mags.

The guys that have lots of .223, 22LR, 9mm, Pmags and Glock mags are sitting in tall cotton.

Alot of the posting remind me of a few pages from "Alas, Babylon" where they have the trader board posted in the park.

Dave

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yep ... I honestly don't know what will be currency then. I suspect it will be things you wouldn't have ever imagined would have any importance and I believe that the value of any one item will be very much dependent on the person you are dealing with. However, with the gov't to whom you will have to continue to pay your taxes, I'm pretty damn sure it will be gold or silver ... bastards ...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Even though I don't usually partake of either, I would include alcohol and tobacco to the list.

People will still have their vices.

One more thing I would consider currency, and be in great need of, would be coffee!

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though I don't usually partake of either, I would include alcohol and tobacco to the list.

People will still have their vices.

One more thing I would consider currency, and be in great need of, would be coffee!

I'm going to say cigarettes and liquor will be some of the best currency to have. Antibiotics, painkillers, ammo, gasoline, and guns will be a distant second.

I doubt when SHTF anybody is going to care about precious metals... the only thing holding the price up so high right now is the economy.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep ... I honestly don't know what will be currency then. I suspect it will be things you wouldn't have ever imagined would have any importance and I believe that the value of any one item will be very much dependent on the person you are dealing with. However, with the gov't to whom you will have to continue to pay your taxes, I'm pretty damn sure it will be gold or silver ... bastards ...

You assume their will be a govt as we currently know it? If things really got bad, a large portion would view the protection of their families over the country. I don't see a govt with no power getting anything from anyone. Then again, TEOTWAWKI means what I know now would be completely different.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am sure that swords were valuable to the Romans, and bows were valuable to the monguls, and the Egyptians probably valued spears, and the Mayans valued blow guns but they all traded in silver and gold. I don't see why after 5000 years of silver and gold being used as a form of money that it would stop once all modern conviences are gone.

Not that mags and ammo won't be valuable, but if I have coffee and you don't need/want coffee and you have mags and ammo that I need/want, then what do we do?

Latest posts

Top Bottom