SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Currency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You assume their will be a govt as we currently know it? If things really got bad, a large portion would view the protection of their families over the country. I don't see a govt with no power getting anything from anyone. Then again, TEOTWAWKI means what I know now would be completely different.

There will always be some form of government...and they will always want their piece of your pie. What form of payment and how easy you make it for them might change in a TEOTWAWKI situation, but someone will be knocking.

No one can say with any certainty what will be currency....since TEOTWAWKI hasn't happened. Sure, situations like Ferfal's and Selco's can provide some clues, but it's still speculation.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You assume their will be a govt as we currently know it? If things really got bad, a large portion would view the protection of their families over the country. I don't see a govt with no power getting anything from anyone. Then again, TEOTWAWKI means what I know now would be completely different.

I agree with everything you've said. However, the gov't we have now will not go away without first sucking us dry of every single thing they possibly can before they "give up the ghost".

It's not hitting the bottom that worries me as much as it is the long, slow drain on the average guy while the fat cats gather up resources (land, precious metals, etc.) while we are all on the way down.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy, this thread turned serious REALLY quickly.

Sorry, wasn't really meaning it too seriously, just that it is interesting what everyone is looking to trade for and trade with to get mags, ammo and guns right now.

Before this "panic" it was always a cash price. Sometimes someone would post that they wanted XX dollars or X oz of silver, but that wasn't REAL common.

Now, I see guys offering to trade magazines for magazines. Some are offering cases of ammo for a firearm, etc.

it was just a comment about the bartering that is currently going on, not just on the OSA classifieds but all over the boards.

And, while there are a few WTT ads that might mention trading "gold and silver" most of the trades are mags, brass and lead.

Dave

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone's on edge, ratski. It's as if we're watching a tragedy unfold in slow motion and the symptoms of stress are showing up all over.

The sad thing is that I think most people don't understand why that everyone's on edge. I'm not even sure I understand, truth be told.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am sure that swords were valuable to the Romans, and bows were valuable to the monguls, and the Egyptians probably valued spears, and the Mayans valued blow guns but they all traded in silver and gold. I don't see why after 5000 years of silver and gold being used as a form of money that it would stop once all modern conviences are gone.

Not that mags and ammo won't be valuable, but if I have coffee and you don't need/want coffee and you have mags and ammo that I need/want, then what do we do?

Gold and silver will still be worth something. There's no doubt. However, it's what is it worth to the individual that has the item you need. In a SHTF situation, I would be hard pressed to trade an item that I need to live for an item that has monetary value in a civilized world.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gold and silver will still be worth something. There's no doubt. However, it's what is it worth to the individual that has the item you need. In a SHTF situation, I would be hard pressed to trade an item that I need to live for an item that has monetary value in a civilized world.

I simply state that silver and gold will be the choice for exchange if barter is not possible. At some point someone will have something that I want and they will not want any of my commodities sans silver and gold, or at least I'm am betting on that possibility, YMMV. Exchange rates on the other hand will be extreamly hard to define as on the whole most transactions will be FTF and between two parties with no market to rely on for pricing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom