SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Currency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
alcohol, tobacco, drugs that were previously illegal, medication, ammunition, gold, silver, playboy, shoes, soap, and other things.

EDIT: People. It may seem sick but it could happen.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I simply state that silver and gold will be the choice for exchange if barter is not possible. At some point someone will have something that I want and they will not want any of my commodities sans silver and gold, or at least I'm am betting on that possibility, YMMV. Exchange rates on the other hand will be extreamly hard to define as on the whole most transactions will be FTF and between two parties with no market to rely on for pricing.

I see what you're saying. If all else fails with bartering goods, you will use silver/gold. I'm sure someone out there will want the gold/silver you have for an item they have. I think it will still come down to what is it worth. The saying "worth it's weight in gold" comes to mind.

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on whether or not one was growing said pot earlier ....

Governor John Hickenlooper (yeah, he's a looper all right) of Colorado after Amendment 64 was ratified this November: "Until this is officially accepted, I wouldn't break out the Goldfish and Cheetos just yet".

A few days later after it was officially signed into the state's constitution: "Break 'em out"!

On a serious note without trying to hijack the thread too badly, the proven medicinal uses of both pot and poppies make them both worthy of growers' consideration after SHTF. Far be it from me to convince anyone but make your own decision about how you and yours are taken care of and do what's right.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned yet is seeds. The fact that they have a limited shelf life will make them more and more valuable as time passes.
They didn't build that multi hundred million dollar seed vault buried in a frozen mountain in northern Europe for no reason.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned yet is seeds. The fact that they have a limited shelf life will make them more and more valuable as time passes.
They didn't build that multi hundred million dollar seed vault buried in a frozen mountain in northern Europe for no reason.

Something like chia seeds or okra seeds?

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd venture to guess that some of the less common calipers might catch a premium. Lots of people will have .22, .223, .45, 9 mm etc, to spare. Not many people will have extra .270, 45-70 that they can part with. Who knows.

@toehanus

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ammunition, food, antibiotics, clothing, and these: [Broken External Image]

Whoa, whoa, whoa mister fancy pants. No way I'm trading the crown. They get the homemade stuff I made that doesn't taste that great, but will get the job done. I like to call it "in a pinch".

Latest posts

Top Bottom