Sig Brace ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Neanderthal for locating a legal perspective, it is definitely more informed than anything I could add. I am particularly interested in the difference between modifying an AR by adding the brace and purchasing an AR with the brace added by the manufacturer. I own a Sig P516 with the SB15 brace, and I want to be able to shoot it any way I see fit.

You can. This is just mental masturbation until ATF comes flat out and says they are a no-go if fired from the shoulder.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They also state the exact opposite of your quote in that they go off of the design intent not whether the gun is "used properly". Agreed on your other points and this nonsense is just more justification for dumping SBR and SBS from NFA altogether. [/URL]

Paragraph 5 on the second page of the letter in question says exactly what I said...shouldering the arm brace makes it a rifle, so it seems they have started to deviate from the previous position that design and original intent are all that determines the category. It's messy either way...

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paragraph 5 on the second page of the letter in question says exactly what I said...shouldering the arm brace makes it a rifle, so it seems they have started to deviate from the previous position that design and original intent are all that determines the category. It's messy either way...

By the same token, you're just as illegal if you ever use a weaver stance to shoot a pistol. A pistol is defined by the ATF as "a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
For chits and giggles, here's the actual 18 U.S.C. Section 921 definition. Pay particular attention to section 7, which is referenced in the second letter. This may help clarify (or maybe obfuscate) things.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

I think the word "intended" speaks volumes.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you. I think a judge would have to as well. It's just all the business in between. I don't want to do that part. Arrest, lawyers, trial, etc

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you. I think a judge would have to as well. It's just all the business in between. I don't want to do that part. Arrest, lawyers, trial, etc

That's the just of it. I was warming to the idea of these things, and was putting together a wish list for a tiny little bullet hose, but with this latest wrinkle I'm probably inclined to skip the possibility of being a test case in order to save $100 and a few months wait...

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am on the waiting list for the blade when it comes out in March. I guess in my case, I have arthritis in both wrist from multiple brakes. Maybe it can help.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those using them as a pistol brace, does anyone else find that they force your arm and wrist into an odd angle when strapped down? Maybe it's just my anatomy, but I find it virtually impossible to get a sight picture without inclining my head way over to the side - or else installing a high riser and going sideways gangsta style.

I don't know to many of us that use them as pistol braces. Like you said, It is almost impossible to get a good sight picture and they are uncomfortable. They make a pretty good stock though. I have no trouble at all using mine as stocks.

Who ever installs a sig brace intending to use it as designed? Nobody. Damn near everyone installs it with the intention of using it as a shoulder stock.

Well, I did. And looks like here's another:

I am on the waiting list for the blade when it comes out in March. I guess in my case, I have arthritis in both wrist from multiple brakes. Maybe it can help.

Obviously I've been doing it wrong; gangsta style seems to be the method.

[video=youtube_share;b7G-sOC3-sQ]http://youtu.be/b7G-sOC3-sQ[/video]

By the way, I have the SBX model - anyone want to swap for an SB15?

Latest posts

Top Bottom