*sigh* Another caliber and another mouth to feed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Marlin 336 .30-.30 last fall after falling in love with Maddskillz new rifle. I haven't even been able to shoot it yet!!

I've been stocking up on Hornady Lever revolution - heard great things about about it

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool beans GMD. I like lever guns got a 30-30 in a canadian centenial, 20 in octagon barrel shoots perty good with 170 & 150s. If ya want you can put a peep sight on that there carbine (should be tapped) williams has 1. I put it on my 30-30 & 45colt carbine. closes those groups up a little. marlin also makes a nice lever. wish I had a 41 but I prefer straight stocks on my levers so I turned the 41 down when marlin redid them a couple of years ago due to the stock. May have to try the leather trick on the 444P it wacks the hand when working up loads of the bench

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I hope you still like the rifle after you shoot it a while. The big loop levers are an acquired taste. Frankly I dislike them, as I end up beating the crap out of my hand having to "dive" for the loop in order to cycle the gun. Slightly oversized is nice to have so you can wear good warm gloves, but big oversized just seems to be one more thing to hang on brush. A good leather wrap around the belly of the loop might make it more comfortable, though.

I had never thought about that, but it sounds like a good idea. :thumb:

Actually, the big loop was the selling point for me. I'd seen a dozen Winchesters come and go. Some as much as $500 and some as low as a C-note. I've always regarded them as one of the "important" weapons that every gun owner needs. The only other rifle out there I would care to own would be a Springfield M1A. I just didn't care for the tacticool AR style. I mean, I always wanted one because they looked cool and nasty, but when I got mine and learned a little more about it, I just lost the love for it. :grumble:

Anyway, I hope this Winchester proves itself for me.

The good news is that if it doesn't, there's a guy at my local gunshop who told me this morning (yeah, I'm already showing it off ;)) that he would trade it for anything in his case. I looked and spotted a 4 inch model 66 no dash (which IMO was the best gun he had in the shop full of polymer kings and queens) and said "what about that model 66?"

He said, "you want it? It's yours! Hell, I'll even throw in a box of ammo!"

But...I declined. I think this rifle is a keeper! :D

I like rifles like this because you don't hafta spend alot of money on silly bolt on whiz-bang "tacticool" accessories. With that being said, I've got one of these on order for this carbine. :respect: It's made by Galco Gunleather - my very favorite holster/gunleather maker. :bowdown:

[Broken External Image]

Other than this butt cuff and lots of ammo, I don't see me spending another dime on this rifle. I ain't gonna scope it and I doubt that I'll even sling it.

Also...kind of a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the saddle ring? :anyone: Was it a "poor man's" saddle scabbard? Would a cowboy just run a strip of leather thru it, tie it's ends in a knot and just loop/hang it on his saddle horn if he didn't hava a scabbard for it or something? Please school me. :D

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LOVE my Winchester 94 AE. One of my favorite pieces. So fun to shoot I'm surprised I don't need a tax stamp! Operating the lever has the same cool tactile feel of closing a revolver cylinder or even hearing a Garand ask for seconds.

The Leverevolution stuff mentioned above is great ammo, but is a tad pricey for routine target shooting compared to more conventional 150gr stuff (been shooting Remington myself, but not really for any particular reason).

Nice rifle! Don't imagine anybody needs to tell you to enjoy it.

As a side note, after a black rifle glut I'm starting to enjoy old school stuff too.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on my phone so I don't have the links with me - but look up leverworks (?) Gun leather (something
like that) he makes leather gear for lever guns. His stuff is awesome!!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed the lever actions. I've got several today, 22lr, 45-70, 35 rem, 357 mag,....... well you get it. I don't curently have a 30-30 but it's a good solid performer for sure down in your neck of the woods. You take it deer hunting in Sem. Co. and you'll see lots of other guys packing the same type of gun. Because of it's handiness it's been a favorite of the guys who hunt in the brushy side of the state for years. Plus they tend to weigh a bit less, so on a long day hunting you still appreciate it at the end of the day.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RANGE REPORT! :50cal:

I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester Super X 150gr Power Point ammo and headed out to see my folks. You shoulda seen dad's eyes light up when he took a gander at this carbine. :w000t:

Went down to the pond and set up an old 1 gallon size trash can. Fired the first shot - just a tad high. Took the sight down one notch (the only notch left!) and fired the next shot. Right on! Fired three more - they all clover leafed the 2nd one. :woohoo1:

These were all shot from a seated position with a rest from about 40/50 yards. I loaded up five more (maximum capacity on this little Trapper. :() and fired those five in a semi speed drill from the standing position. They all clover leafed as well. :ooh2:

So yeah, this thing is as accurate as I can make it. I'm sure in a more qualified rifleman's hands, he could bore out one big hole. But as for me? Yeah...it'll do. ;)

It was a helluva lot more accurate than that damned ol' AR I had. With that thang, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a :censored:ING boat! :ugh2:

The kick is a BIT more noticeable than 762x39 though. You will know it is there.

You wasn't kiddin'! It had a purdy good thump. A little more than a 7.62x39 but a little less than a .308 or 12 gauge birdshot. I like it! :naughty:

Latest posts

Top Bottom