*sigh* I'll probably regret this, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOULD GED GIVE THE AR-15 ANOTHER CHANCE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an ad here this morning that had a DPMS RFA2-PCAR "Panther Carbine" for $785. That's the very same model I had and I liked the style of that rifle.

I said a long time ago that I would never, EVER own another AR-15. :hellno:

Now I feel that itch happening again. :pissed:

I really, really like my cowboy guns; my Winchester model 94AE Centennial, chambered in 30-30 with the large bow "John Wayne/Rifleman" lever and my Cimarron 1878 12 gauge Coach gun, but I'm starting to think a little more "practical" and "work related" with my arsenal. The cowboy long guns really aren't practical for LE duties. :disappoin

Maybe I should give the AR-15 another chance. :ugh2: I feel like I should maybe sell the lever gun and Coach gun to fund another AR. I just don't know. Most of the reasons on my pro/con list are leading me thataway, but then again...I am having second thoughts. :preocc:

It's kinda like that song He's An Old Hippie by the Bellamy Brothers, "should he hang onto the old, should he grab onto the new..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PBA_F23hg

Therefore, I've decided to open a poll just for the duration of the weekend.

SHOULD GED GIVE THE AR-15 ANOTHER CHANCE?

I wish I could afford to keep my cowboy guns and just buy an AR, but that's not even possible. :cry3:

Your thoughts, comments and ideas please. :D

:thanku:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Stick with what you have! You know you'll only sell off the plastic again. What do you need a poddleshooter for anyway. Toss that 30-30 in your trunk.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a time that I said that I would never own another Glock. Now G22 is about the only pistol that I shoot.

There was a time that I said that I would never own another AR. Now my ARs are the only rifles that I shoot.

Basically, once I stopped collecting and started shooting more and more, I found that I really like my Glock and my ARs. I find myself wanting other pistols and rifles all the time, but when I really think about it, my G22 and ARs fulfill almost all of my basic firearms needs. The only thing that they don't do really well is knocking over the metallic silhouettes at 400+ yards. I can reliably hit them, but 5.56 doesn't have the horsepower at those ranges to knock them over. So I might get another .30 caliber some day, but I digress.

I say get the AR, but give it a chance and shoot the snot out of it this time. Wear it out before you decide that you don't like them. Also, just because it's an AR doesn't mean that you have to trick it out with all of the latest gear. I have done that plenty of times, but I always come back to a really basic carbine. My go-to AR is my 10 inch rifle with a slick-side A1 receiver with an A2 sight apperature, CAR handguards, A1 grip, type 1 CAR stock, LMT barrel, BCG, lower, and LPK, PRI M84 charging handle, and KAC M4QD flash suppressor, even though I rarely run the can on the rifle anymore. The rifle, as equipped, weighs about six pounds, loaded. If I was a cop I might put a blue force modded redi-mag with a spare magazine on it.......and maybe an aimpoint, but I doubt it.

The rifle and can have had another few thousand hard rounds through them since this photo was taken, and both look the part, but this is still my favorite rifle.
[Broken External Image]

Rob

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say get the AR, but give it a chance and shoot the snot out of it this time. Wear it out before you decide that you don't like them. Also, just because it's an AR doesn't mean that you have to trick it out with all of the latest gear. I have done that plenty of times, but I always come back to a really basic carbine. My go-to AR is my 10 inch rifle with a slick-side A1 receiver with an A2 sight apperature, CAR handguards, A1 grip, type 1 CAR stock, LMT barrel, BCG, lower, and LPK, PRI M84 charging handle, and KAC M4QD flash suppressor, even though I rarely run the can on the rifle anymore. The rifle, as equipped, weighs about six pounds, loaded. If I was a cop I might put a blue force modded redi-mag with a spare magazine on it.......and maybe an aimpoint, but I doubt it.

Rob

Yeah, I thought about that too. The model I saw this morning that got my itch going was the exact one I had before. The DPMS "Panther Carbine" with the 10.5" barrel and 5.5" silver soldered flash hider. I don't know why, but this is really the only model that sparks my interest. I can look at basic M4 styles and flat tops all day long and never get that warm, fuzzy feeling like I do when I see the Panther Carbine. :w000t:

Probably all I would do to it is install a Magpul MOE stock (I really like those) and maybe an MOE grip. I thought about a rail and a light of some kind, but...:disappoin

I know, I know...I said plain ol' vanilla with the last one too. :blahblah:

Hell, I dunno. Those damned thangs just cost so much to feed and maintain. :grumble:

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that they are not as cheap to feed anymore, but my rifles don't cost much to maintain. The rifle pictured above has around 7,000 rounds through it now, mostly suppressed, and the bolt is probably about ready for replacement. I replaced the recoil spring a few thousand rounds back, but that is it.

I keep thinking that I am going to need to replace the barrel soon, because I have shot this rifle hard enough on multiple occasions to get the can glowing hot, and I have even started eroding the flash suppressor/silencer mount. However, I can still hit the 200 and 300 yard silhouettes at will, and I can hit the 400 and 500 yard silhouettes when I do my part and find the sweet spot with the hold over.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom