*sigh* I'll probably regret this, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOULD GED GIVE THE AR-15 ANOTHER CHANCE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the ease of ammo and compatibility I say go with the AR. How many other officers you interact with have spare 30-30 ammo in their car?

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's not many things more devastating to a human that can be easily bought than a 12 gauge slug. Personally I'd rather have a M14 of some flavor. I know a deputy in Texas than has a Winchester M14 in his truck, (yep it has the fun switch). You have already given the Ar a try and look how long that lasted. Your already talking about modding your AR and you did on the last one too. I say save your bucks for as long as it takes and eventually get the M1A scout, personally I'd get the one with no rail and a wood stock and leave it bone stock. By the time you buy all the gadgets and do-dads for an AR your in the M1A price range anyways. You ever wonder why you don't see many M14's and M1As for sell? It's because the people who own them wont sell them, I doubt you would either.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's not many things more devastating to a human that can be easily bought than a 12 gauge slug. Personally I'd rather have a M14 of some flavor. I know a deputy in Texas than has a Winchester M14 in his truck, (yep it has the fun switch). You have already given the Ar a try and look how long that lasted. Your already talking about modding your AR and you did on the last one too. I say save your bucks for as long as it takes and eventually get the M1A scout, personally I'd get the one with no rail and a wood stock and leave it bone stock. By the time you buy all the gadgets and do-dads for an AR your in the M1A price range anyways. You ever wonder why you don't see many M14's and M1As for sell? It's because the people who own them wont sell them, I doubt you would either.

So true. I had my SAI M1A out today and had a blast with it. Accurate, 20 rds of steel rain, balanced, can have wood or synthetic stock (GI ones can be painted up), scope it, iron sights, Aimpoint on an Ultimak, ammo cross over with other officers, can be recharged with ammo via stripper clips, blah, blah, blah.....get the idea. You can find deals on the M1A. If you found a good deal on a Poly, get the brl cut down to 18" and turn it into a scout. I think I am going to be looking for the scout next. I had a SOCOM and like it but kept my standard.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Levergun may not have the capacity of the AR, but in the right hands is as lethal if not more so than the AR. One well placed shot of 30-30 is going to have imediate results!

Tru dat. :thumb:

Here in Pontotoc Co, Sheriff Glase carried a 30-30 lever gun and either a 1911 or a S&W 25 in 45LC most of his time of service.

I knew Jeff, he was a helluva good man. He was the rangemaster when I went thru my auto transition school way back in 1991. The man definitely knew his stuff. God bless his soul. :cry3:

One of these days big guy you need to write a book.
"All the guns I've owned."

Keep the lever gun.

Yeah...you're probably right. I could write a book. I've bought, sold and traded more guns than Carter has peanuts. :rolleyes2

More blasphemy! What's this world coming to? A pic rail on a SxS... :grumble:

Somethings are just not sacred to this generation. :ugh2:

Why dont you actually shoot one or the other? They are tools, not art.

I DO shoot them. I put roughly 500 rounds thru the AR when I had it and couldn't hit scratch. Likewise with the Winchester...I've only shot 100 rounds thru it and I still can't hit scratch.

Oh I guess I hit close enough to get me by. I can keep 'em all on a 9" styrofoam plate, but boy are they scattered about. :grumble:

This post probably makes more sense than ANY other post I've read.

Thanks Peace Maker - you probably just made my decision for me. :D

Welp! The results are in!

Votes for the AR-15 - 23

Votes for Iron & Wood - 25

Thanks for all the votes guys! :wave:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense, but it sounds like the operator, no the machine, is the issue.

None taken. :disappoin

You're probably right. Like I said earlier, I never score lower than a 90% with pistol and shotgun. Maybe it's because I've shot both of them regularly for the last 20 years and I'm kinda new to rifles. :ugh2:

I dunno. Maybe I need to burn some more ammo thru the Winchester and see what happens. Maybe I can close those patterns in some. :rolleyes2

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey GED, u shootin that lever beauty with iron sights and havin that kinda spread?

Y not put a long eye relief scope on there and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom