Sighting in a Red Dot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvinvwinkle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I placed a red dot scope on my pistol and went to zero it yesterday. I started at 10 yards to make sure it would even hit the paper. I zero it at that range and then moved to 15 yrds and the impact points were 2to3 inches above the target. I zeroed it and then moved to 25 yrds. Once again it was 2 to 3 inches high. What am I missing? I don't have any experiences with a red dot so I don't have a clue.:anyone:

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marvin, I also zero at 10 yards. Depending on the height of the dot/ scope when I zero I shoot at a cross and the point of aim is the center of the cross where the lines intersect but I want my point of impact to be approx 1 inch low at that range. The reason I use 10 yards is that I can see the target and dot clearly and know where the do is when the shot breaks. Unless the dot is awful high a 22 should not vary that much on elevation. Hope this is helpful. later rdd

edited kaws I kain't spell to good.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sight (red dot aiming point) is now much higher than the bore of the pistol, seems to me around 2" or so instead of .3" or so. When you zero the sight at 10 yards/15 yards, you are in effect pointing the barrel up so the bullet will intersect the line of sight at that short distance, what you are seeing when you get to 25 yards is the bullet is now above the sight plain, and I would imagine for most pistols it will once again intersect the sight plain around 60 yards or so. It is the sight offset that causes this phenomenon. KurtM

marvinvwinkle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I know from my time in the military that the bullet will travel above the sight plan and then cross back at a longer range. That is the reason for the 1000inch range to adjust the sight. I just didn't know if was the same issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom