Silencers in Tulsa County?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I was at a gun shop in Shawnee and the owner said that it was pointless to purchase a silencer because it's almost impossible to get "permission" from the sheriff's office. Anybody in tulsa co have any experience with this?

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friends that live in the Shawnee area that have silencers and didn't have a problem and they didn't do a trust. Can you have the police chief sign off? I went the trust route just because I thought it would be easier. Which gun shop was it?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, any CLEO in the jurisdiction in which you reside can sign. It could be a Sheriff, Chief of Police if you live in an incorporated town, District Attorney, or a District Court Judge. But with any of these you usually have to pay for fingerprints and photos.

My Trust was free and my credit union notarized it for free. So I see no value in going the CLEO route, unless you just have to have your name on it rather than the name of your Trust. JMO

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I was at a gun shop in Shawnee and the owner said that it was pointless to purchase a silencer because it's almost impossible to get "permission" from the sheriff's office. Anybody in tulsa co have any experience with this?

I've heard that too. There were some posts on here about two years ago talking about it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shawnee is in Pott. County....so was the fella saying the CLEO in Pott. county doesn't do sign-off's or that the CLEO in Tulsa county doesn't?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I read in the post and the profile, the OP lives in Sand Springs, which I'm guessing is in Tulsa County. He was making inquires about buying a can from a dealer in Shawnee and the dealer told him that the Sheriff would not sign where he lives.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I was in shawnee for work and went in to look around. The owner had been in the Army, I believe. Can't remember the name of the place, but he had several pistols (mainly ruger .22 Mk III) with silencers. We talked about them and when I said I was from tulsa he mentioned that the sheriff's office had to sign off on it and that they rarely did. I'll have to look into a trust. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Top Bottom