Silica Gel Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritchurd.price

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright all you chem majors, I have a question. I started vacuum sealing ammunition tonight using a ziplock vacuum sealer. I am using 25 rounds of 223 with a small homemade bag of silica gel inserted before vacuuming. The bag is sealed, it's tight; barely any air in there. I come back and some of them have more air in the bags than what I started with. So naturally I test for a leak by submerging the ammo packs in water to look for bubbles. Nothing. The bags were sealed with minimal air but gas is still getting in. I know that the fact of having sealed ammunition with its own personal silica gel packet puts its lifespan way further than boxed ammo, but I like to save space.

So, does silica gel release (a) gas(ses) when it works? That's about the only thing I can think of to explain this occurrence. Thanks guys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bagged at cold temperatures, and brought into warmer temps? That would mean what little air remains would expand.

I don't think you will see bubbles because there is still some vacuum in the bag. If you left the bag in the water with a weight on it, some moisture might seep in over time.

But, it would take awhile.

We vacuum pack a lot of meat. We have to freeze the meat before packing because the process will bring out a tiny stream of moisture if its not frozen. The seal leak will eventually leak.

ritchurd.price

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't military ammo sealed at the bullet with tar to prevent powder exposure to moisture? Vacuum sealing seems like a good idea; I've had plenty of shells become completely corroded over the course of 3-5 years

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't military ammo sealed at the bullet with tar to prevent powder exposure to moisture? Vacuum sealing seems like a good idea; I've had plenty of shells become completely corroded over the course of 3-5 years
How were they stored? I know of commercial ammo bought up by the case in the 80s that is still shot by a relative. He stored some in his garage in factory original packaging in a roll around tool box. This is western Oklahoma so probably not as humid as eastern Oklahoma, but its 30 years old and still kills deer, still kills varmints, and goes bang bang all the time. The shortage of .22lr didn't slow him down, he had plenty!

Do you remember what year Remington quit being called Remington Peters? I don't remember, but he still has ammo boxes that have both names. I have shot up paper hulled shot gun shells that are Remington Peters shells. They didn't receive any special handling or storage.

If it makes you feel better to vacuum pack your ammo, wipe the cases down with a rag to remove all your skin oils and vacuum pack away. No need for the silicate gel. If you vacuum dry ammo and all the air is pulled from the package before sealed, where will it get moisture?

I would bet most of your corrosion in 3-5 years is from some your skin oils from handling ammo at some point and then over time, the chemical reaction takes place that causes the corrosion you speak of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom