Silly hapening in a drive thru

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week, I bought an AR. I was a good boy and called the bank to make sure we had plenty of $$ to cover. Apparently, I bumped the daily limit and when Mrs. Zap went to get gas the card was declined. She was PISSED!

We still weren't broke. But it was still my fault...

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Running a debit as a credit card shouldn't amount to a hill of beans except it becomes an offline transaction and may take two or three days potentially to settle and hit your checking account instead of near real time with a debit/PIN transaction. Is the delay hitting the account what caused the NSF? If so, that's not the bank or merchant's fault.
Nope she had over 1k in the bank and was making a $10 purchase and she hadnt used her account for weeks before this.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen where a card reader shows an error but gets an authorization on several occasions. When they swipe it again to get approved it will freeze the funds for both swipes until the end of the day when only the one transaction settles. That can screw up a persons day pretty quick.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wifey and I have a card with the same co. Same #, different names on the card. They put in a new fraud system. We both make a gas charge within two minutes of each other. Hers at a Shell station in Bloomington, IA and mine at a Shell aircraft fuel pump in Roswell NM. I got tagged and refused verification. I naturally gave them a call, needed 64 gal to get home.. Seems that their new fraud computer system is smarter than their card distribution system, can't be both places at the same time, right?

Had that back and forth for a month or two, each of us getting refused at various places. After several nasty calls by me they finally realized she can drive where she wants, I could jump in my plane and fly where I want. They gave us two cards with the same #, reasonable that we are required to be in the same place at the same time and only use one of them? Must be that new math stuff used by someone younger than 70 as I am for programming and keeping us safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom