SKS and Detachable Magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave it original.

I don't understand people that get an SKS and try to make them all "tacticool". If they're going to do that, they should just get an AK in the first place.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave it original.

I don't understand people that get an SKS and try to make them all "tacticool". If they're going to do that, they should just get an AK in the first place.

I wasn't interested in the whole "tacticool" aspect at all. Lol

I was wondering if they detachable mags for the SKS are worth the investment since, at the very least, I can buy one 20 round mag and double the output vs the original factory box mag.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't interested in the whole "tacticool" aspect at all. Lol

I was wondering if they detachable mags for the SKS are worth the investment since, at the very least, I can buy one 20 round mag and double the output vs the original factory box mag.

I say that because that seems to be what most people tend to do. They get a 30 round mag, then slap another a folding or bullpup stock on it and try to make it into something entirely different. I never did understand that because they sink as much money (or more) into an SKS as an AK would have cost them in the first place.

As far as a 20/30 round mag being worth it, it never was for me. I had several of them and they really can be a pain in the arse at times. You have to get the donkey-dong on the front inserted just right before it pops into place, etc. I think 10 rounds are plenty. If you just want access to quicker load times, loaded stripper clips work well and they tend to take up less space than mags.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say that because that seems to be what most people tend to do. They get a 30 round mag, then slap another a folding or bullpup stock on it and try to make it into something entirely different. I never did understand that because they sink as much money (or more) into an SKS as an AK would have cost them in the first place.

As far as a 20/30 round mag being worth it, it never was for me. I had several of them and they really can be a pain in the arse at times. You have to get the donkey-dong on the front inserted just right before it pops into place, etc. I think 10 rounds are plenty. If you just want access to quicker load times, loaded stripper clips work well and they tend to take up less space than mags.

Yeah. I went to Brigadoon's to replace some hand cuffs and managed to find their stash of SKS stripper clips. Got seven and I'm feelin' like I should have grabbed more.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dislike the stripper clips for storage. On the mag issue I have a tapco'd out sks and I like it a lot but I never had the wood stock. I haven't had an issue with any of my mags. I would say do what you want with it because swapping stocks and detachable mags are reversible just keep the old stuff.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The donkey dong attachment are easy to get used to, there is a guy who maks an adapter you put in there and cut the tab off tapco mags.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dislike the stripper clips for storage. On the mag issue I have a tapco'd out sks and I like it a lot but I never had the wood stock. I haven't had an issue with any of my mags. I would say do what you want with it because swapping stocks and detachable mags are reversible just keep the old stuff.

The issues I've been hearing came from original SKSs where the box mag was substituted with the detachables. Brigadoon's had them for 20 bucks each for the 20 round mags but I felt that was too much since Academy had them online for 13 a pop.

The donkey dong attachment are easy to get used to, there is a guy who maks an adapter you put in there and cut the tab off tapco mags.

Donkey kong attachment?

Latest posts

Top Bottom