SKS failure to cycle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some help bought a sks and it won't cycle from what I have read online I think it needs a new gas valve.Anyone on here with any experience with them?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
likely a yugo. Check the piston, and gas tube. lots of info online about this very failure. Great rifles and ammo is still cheap.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have stripped it down and cleaned it the gas valve is pitted and yes it a yugo. The valve is in the on positions so that is all I know thats left to do is buy a new valve. Ican't find anything on changing out the housing it sits in and not really sure that can be done?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have stripped it down and cleaned it the gas valve is pitted and yes it a yugo. The valve is in the on positions so that is all I know thats left to do is buy a new valve. Ican't find anything on changing out the housing it sits in and not really sure that can be done?

If the gas tube is still serviceable, you will just need to purchase a replacement piston like the one in the link below...

http://www.tapco.com/products/sks/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=203

You can purchase a replacement gas tube as well, but try the piston first. That will most likely solve the problem.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you:

Verified the gas port is open between the gas block and the barrel?
Verified that the hole in the gas valve is open and clean?
Verified that you have a piston extension rod and spring (behind the handguard latch)?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what everyone tells you the gun is worn out and not servicable or repairable, However like all dead guns it is worth something for the parts inside and I will give you $50 for it.
Just bring it into my store and I will give you a credit voucher redemable for anything in the store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom