SKS newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a really really rough SKS during the height of the panic, paid about $350 for it. I ruined the stock when I cleaned it and ended up with just spray painting the entire thing. It is a shooter, as in, it shoots. It's not for looks at all. Sometimes I see really pristine SKSs and I am jealous. It might be worth it to pay more for a gun that really looks super nice.

Sand it down and refinish it.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What all does cleaning the cosmoline off consist of besides (a lot of elbow grease)

I cleaned a few dozen milsurps of cosmoline, and my method was get a tarp, a gallon of kerosene, a bucket, and a toothbrush and bigger nylon bristle brush.

Take it completely apart, pour kerosene in bucket, wash off cosmoline.

Using the spray nozzle on a can of WD40 or equivalent will allow you to flush out bolt.

Be sure and flush out bolt well, so you don't go fully auto.

I miss the days of $99.00 SKS and $57.00 98/22 mausers, and will sometimes go off by myself with one just to breathe in the cosmoline.

You'll never get all the cosmo out of the wood, even by putting it in the oven.

It's easier just to learn to enjoy the smell and cosmolione oozing all over you on summer days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom