SKS newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cleaning the cosmoline on these is half the fun (at least for beginners), IMO. Not too bad unless you have to do a whole crate of them. It'll make you become familiar with how the rifle disassembles and how it all works. sksboards.com is a good resource as well with lot's of tips and tricks available there. I used the oven (low temp) to get a lot of the cosmoline out of my yugo stock.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few of the "sino banian" SKSs when they became available. Lots of cosmoline in and on them but are very well preserved. I use a hair dryer to get it out of the wood and wd 40 on the metal. Used BLO on the stocks after cleanup. All nice examples, the wood is rough on them but the ones I have don't look to have been shot much. I say go for it!

EP1985

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will probably end up getting one, it sounds kinda cool getting to take it apart and cleaning it up and if need be I can buy another stock. Seems like they are pretty cheap

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used mineral spirits with good results on cosmo...

Man, I just can't drop $300+ on an SKS though. Seems like yesterday when you could buy them by the case for cheaper than Mosins are going for now. If only...

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
dang, I've been thinking about getting one for a while.
better do it before they're twice as expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts as to Russian vs. Chinese? quality / fit and finish / value?

If I am not mistaken, Chinese has chrome lined barrels. Russian doesn't. All in all though. An SKS is pretty much an SKS unless it is an Albanian or Yugo. Then they get a lil bit different.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, Chinese has chrome lined barrels. Russian doesn't. All in all though. An SKS is pretty much an SKS unless it is an Albanian or Yugo. Then they get a lil bit different.

Russian SKS's, with the exception of the 49's and early 50's, also had chrome-lined barrels. Russian SKS's are generally considered a notch above the others. They were made in only 2 factories and most were made in 1, Tula. Chinese SKS's were made, or assembled, in an unknown number of factories, some being not much more than job shops. They are all good weapons, but the quality is not up to the Russian standard.