slings for ar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need a litle help fellow members. I've been looking at a sling for my a and wow the choices are endless. I think i would like a 2 point simila to magpul or vickers? Anybody have any advice or pro'sand con's of single point vs 2 point. Rifle will be carried around families land possibly huting etc. . .

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single point is great for entry teams and whacking you in the nuts. 2-point is what you're looking for. My favorite is the VTAC, but lots of folks like the Vickers also.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you intend to carry the rifle while hiking any type of long-term journey, then I would get a 2 point.

There are multiple places to attach a 2-point sling to an AR though. For the rear, if you've got a spot on the stock, it can be attached there (on the left or right side, or on the bottom if you're using the factory M4 standard sling loop).

You can also attach the rear of the sling to a sling-plate that replaces the retainer plate on the back of the receiver (in front of the stock), or some manufacturers make a clamp-on attachment point that clamps onto the buffer tube in front of the stock-body.

For the front of the gun, you can use any number of attachment points. The factory sling-loop under the front-sight-block can be used, or a clamp-on attachment point to the FSB (or to the barrel). I don't like either of these because it puts strain on the barrel/gas-block.

If you've got a quad-rail, you can get a rail-mounted attachment point and put it pretty much anywhere on the rail you want to - on the side, underneath, or where-ever.

I prefer to mount the sling as close to the receiver (both the front point and rear point) when planning on hauling any of my ARs around for a long period of time.

Until GlockToGo pointed it out to me, I didn't realize that I could mount the front of the sling to the left side rail, and the rear of the sling to the right-side of the stock and it makes for a super-fast transition from right-handed shooting to left-handed shooting.

Your attachment point can be HK-style hook (or other hook-type), push-button QD connector, or loop the sling permanently into the sling-loops that are mounted to the gun. I personally like QD connectors but you have to make sure that they are made to spec - I've had a Daniel Defense mount point that was made incorrectly and had to send it back. I've seen two other QD loops that had issues as well from other makers. If they work, they work, if they don't, they will fail quickly under hard use.

I've got 4 Vickers/Blue-Force-Gear slings and one Viking VTAC and I have likes/dislikes about both but they are all good slings.

My dad has a Magpul ASAP / MS2 sling (single-point), and its great for shooting matches and playing around, but I hated it when carrying it for a long time across a WMA for hunting.

Good luck.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single points are awesome if the only time you're going to be holding the rifle is when you're in action. Basically it's optimum for running and gunning, tactical shooting, ect. If you are going to be wearing your gun during downtime, then a 2 point sling is way better. It keeps the gun tucked and tight and you don't have to worry about the barrel smacking your knees or your junk and you also have less chance of bending down and smacking the end of your barrel into the ground.

The best of both worlds would be the magpul ambidextrous single point mount and their sling. The sling locks onto itself and works as a single point sling, but at any time you can unlatch it from itself and latch it onto a swivel on the side of your rails for instant 2 point action. It also has a quick adjust capabilities like the vickers sling.

I personally run with a padded vickers sling. I have it wrapped in a weird way on my Vltor emod stock so that the strap wraps over from the outside of the gun. It hangs better on my shoulder that way since the padded sling runs on top of the buttstock and around to my shoulder instead of underneath the buttstock and up over my shoulder. I could wear my AR all day with the sling on and have it pretty tight so I can use the sling for a bit of leverage.

The downside to 2 point slings is doing weak side transitions. Unless you mod your sling and have it looped a different way, you pretty much have to drop your weak hand under the sling before switching sides or you end up choking yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom