Smith & 300 Grains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnston

Marksman
Reaction score
A few months back, in an effort to expand my horizons, I began experimenting with heavier bullets in my 4in 29-3. Using a combination of h110 and 300gr hardcast hammers, I ended up splitting the frame of my pistol across the threads; significant enough to where the barrel could be removed by hand.
The pistol has since been replaced by a 29-2, and has been joined by a 25-9 as well. A well known pistolsmith who is known for his big bores assures me that this is just a fluke, and I should continue my 300gr experiments, even in my 25. While the man's reputation, and advice is as good as gold, I am curious as to whether or not any of you have conducted similar experiments with heavy bullets in your Smiths, and what your results may have been, whether good or bad. My sincere appreciation for my pistols has me spooked, and I am not necessarily eager to repeat my first experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few months back, in an effort to expand my horizons, I began experimenting with heavier bullets in my 4in 29-3. Using a combination of h110 and 300gr hardcast hammers, I ended up splitting the frame of my pistol across the threads; significant enough to where the barrel could be removed by hand.
The pistol has since been replaced by a 29-2, and has been joined by a 25-9 as well. A well known pistolsmith who is known for his big bores assures me that this is just a fluke, and I should continue my 300gr experiments, even in my 25. While the man's reputation, and advice is as good as gold, I am curious as to whether or not any of you have conducted similar experiments with heavy bullets in your Smiths, and what your results may have been, whether good or bad. My sincere appreciation for my pistols has me spooked, and I am not necessarily eager to repeat my first experience.
Welcome to OSA for a start.
I own a couple of S&W revolvers in .44 mag and .45 Colt. I would never shoot full power loads with heavy bullets in them. In all the years of owning them and being on the S&W forums along with OSA and other forums, the S&W revos do not like those loads.
If you want to shoot heavy bullets with magnum loads you need to go to the Ruger Super Redhawk.
I've gone to piercing the primers with heavy loads in test loads with the gun not suffering any damage.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Editing this post, I wasn't there for the conversation.

OP - Just my 2 cents, if you keep going down the road of super heavy loads in N frame Smiths, you might have to get some new revolvers again.

ETA, I agree with Imam Hoddy's comments above. Also how warm were your handholds? That is a real factor too.

Last edited:

Burnston

Marksman
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses.
I consistently run these heavy Bullets in my Rugers. I am not convinced it’s the thing to do for the N Frames. Either way, something has to be done. I’ve been running a soft load of Unique under a 260gr 429421 in the 29, and the same thing in a 250gr for the 25. Even with relatively light loads, both shoot unsatisfactorily high at 25 yards with my rear sight bottomed out. I suppose the only choices are lighter bullets, which I am not keen on, or having a sight groove milled to receive taller front pin-in sights for both guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom