Smith and Wesson 617 .22lr discussion and good experience at BigBoys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve recently decided I want a full size double action .22 revolver. Preferably 10 shot. My research led me to the conclusion that the Smith 617 is probably my preferred choice over the GP100 .22lr or the colt offerings. Not interested in Taurus, RIA, etc…

So I began the hunt. There was a 617 that sold recently on here with the speedbees speedloader package and man I would’ve loved to purchase that one! But either way calling around they seem to be somewhat hard to find. They can be ordered, but rarely are they in stock somewhere.

I walked into Big Boys, even after the associate on the phone told me they didn’t have one. Well, as I looked through the cases, sure enough there was a used 4” 617 for $729… I was in a rush that day so I put in on layaway real quick and left. Today I went back while I had some time and I did a thorough inspection on it. I checked timing/screw head condition/lock up/cylinder for signs of dry fire/forcing cone and crown inspection with a jewelers loupe, etc… from reading online it sounds like these 10 shots can be finicky, and I was unsure if I wanted to buy used or just go ahead and spend $250 more and order a new one.. Well during my inspection the guy revealed to me that on used guns they allow you to test them on the range.

So I paid the $15 to spend to spend some time with it on the range. I shot 100rnds of cheap .22 ammo through it and it functioned perfectly! Super accurate, excellent trigger, great feel in my hand, wow! Hands down my favorite.22lr revolver I’ve ever shot. I left it on layaway and I feel great about it now.

I didn’t think to take a picture of it while I was at the range. But I will post pictures when I get it out of jail after a paycheck or two.

Anyone else in here own a 617? What’s y’all’s experience been with them?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After 100 rounds they can get dirty/sticky and have hard case extraction. Should have fired 120 rounds…😎

They do like to be clean to run optimally (I loathe cleaning guns). Double action trigger is heavy (needs to be to ignite rimfire). I’ve tried lighter springs from Wolff and get inconsistent ignition. Single action is decent though.

I have a red dot on mine. Figured I would shoot it more than I do, but I don’t “fun” shoot much anymore.

The Speedbeez loader and 100 round block is a must.

Oh, you can use the yellow drywall anchors in place of snap caps.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they might be one of the best looking 22 revolvers ever. Stainless cleans up nicely, good accuracy, trigger breaks like a candy cane in single action. I don't have any of the new versions. For he price of a new one, you'd think it would come with Goncalo Alves combats and an aluminum PC case. I think S&W has almost priced themselves out of the 22 LR revolver market.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m aware of the sticky chambers when dirty. I had a Ruger single ten that was like that as well. It doesn’t bother me too much if I have to slide a bronze brush through the holes every 100ish rnds. But again, this one was still extracting smoothly 100rnds. From reading online if it’s really bad, the solution is to ream the cylinder.

I don’t know if this one has had a trigger job or something, but the double action trigger felt great. Felt more like a centerfire. I did the majority of my shooting in double action seeing if it would have any light strikes. I’d did not.

I agree they are pretty guns!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I guess not a whole lot of 617 owners so far? I found it to be a great shooter. .22lr revolvers are a different animal. Single actions are more of a sure thing. But a double action .22 revolver that mimics a .357 perfectly is tough to find. In my current experience the smith 617 is exactly what I wanted.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your selection and find. I've liked the K .22's for 40+ years so I almost always hafta ask, price and which dash version? Since you posted price already, lemme say congrats on that too.
The 617 is hard to beat IMO. although I personally don't have anything newer than -4, but they're all good shooters IMO. Pics and range report are in order when available.
I will agree that if any one thing seems to stand out in a negative way regarding S&W .22's, it would probably be sticky chambers after firing a session. Easy fix though with the proper reamer and a little time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your selection and find. I've liked the K .22's for 40+ years so I almost always hafta ask, price and which dash version? Since you posted price already, lemme say congrats on that too.
The 617 is hard to beat IMO. although I personally don't have anything newer than -4, but they're all good shooters IMO. Pics and range report are in order when available.
I will agree that if any one thing seems to stand out in a negative way regarding S&W .22's, it would probably be sticky chambers after firing a session. Easy fix though with the proper reamer and a little time.
I have a K-22 Masterpiece from the late 40's that has the sweetest single action trigger I've ever felt. The double action is not far behind it. It's been at a couple of the Eat and Shoots for others to try.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was tagged at $729 used. It’s a 617-6, newest production, Hillary hole and all… I hope I don’t end up needing to ream. But if so I’ll probably just pay a gunsmith to do it

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an original 617 no dash I bought when they first came out. Boxed with factory SB combats. I shot it once and it lives in a safe place now. I have a shooter 617- something 10 shot that is right out of the box one of my favorite guns on the planet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom