Smith and Wesson EZ 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey just bought it. She came to me last night and was asking how to drop the slide on an empty magazine. Being the old 1911 guy I said it was simple, you just press down on this slide release, damn that's hard, uuh, oof, aah, that is hard! I grabbed the slide and pulled toward the rear while pushin down the slide release finally releasing the slide.

The point is the slide release doesn't release with an empty mag inserted. Is this normal?

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EZ has a "slide stop" not a "slide release". Firearms with slide stops are designed to keep the slide locked open until a fresh mag is inserted, or release without a mag in the pistol.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wifey just bought it. She came to me last night and was asking how to drop the slide on an empty magazine. Being the old 1911 guy I said it was simple, you just press down on this slide release, damn that's hard, uuh, oof, aah, that is hard! I grabbed the slide and pulled toward the rear while pushin down the slide release finally releasing the slide.

The point is the slide release doesn't release with an empty mag inserted. Is this normal?

The magazine follower pushes against the slide stop when the magazine is empty. You are trying to overcome both the slide stop spring and the magazine spring at the same time.

Drop the magazine or use a dummy round to test how it works in operation action.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it is designed to be hard to drop on an empty magazine. An empty magazine in a fight is not a good thing, but so is not accidentally dropping the slide and continuing to try to shoot with an empty gun. Insert a magazine with ammo, and it gets easy to drop.

Good luck and enjoy the new weapon. Hope it’s comforting over the years but never has to serve it’s intended purpose.

greener

Marksman
Reaction score

it is built to be hard to drop on empty mag. i hope she has a nice time using the pistol

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Send it in and get it fixed if it's one in the serial range that's recalled. Don't sweat it, they'll make it right.

I've had several M&Ps of various iterations and they were all sticky on the slide stop when new. I thought something was actually wrong with my 9Pro when I first got it. It was that bad. It just takes a few cycles and it'll start loosening up. Also what @Mad Professor said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom