Smokeless muzzleloaders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure this is the right place for this post, so if Mods want to move it someplace, fine.

It's been quite a while since this has been discussed.

If you are a traditionalist, the smokeless muzzleloader is not for you. However, if you see ML season as just another season, there are some huge advantages to going smokeless.

First, last, and foremost: NEVER, EVER, PUT SMOKELESS POWDER IN A RIFLE DESIGNED FOR BLACK POWDER OR SOME EQUIVALENT.

You never see me shouting, but when I was getting into SMLs, I asked a young guy at Bass Pro if they had any smolekess MLs. He assured me that it was okay to use smokeless powder in any of the muzzleloaders they were selling. He didn't believe me when I informed him it was unsafe, but his boss did.

I have a smokeless built for me by these folks:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

Savage is the only major company that produces one. A friend of mine has a Savage, and he loves it. I like mine far more because of its simplicity. It is just a New England Firearms (H&R) receiver with a .50 barrel custom fitted. I still have the shotgun barrel in case I need a single shot 12 ga shotgun (not likely).

I was concerned because NEF will not fit my receiver for any rifle larger than .223, but the SML guy explained that all the pressure is contained in the barrel by the breech plug, and that the receiver is simply a holding fixture for the barrel.

I use Barnes 240 grain slugs and 65 grains of a smokeless powder that I can't remember right now. (too far to go look, and not gonna guess)

The rifle pretty much mimics 30-06 ballistics out to around 250 yards. Then that big frontal area begins to work against it pretty quickly.

The very best thing? Virtually no cleaning. After 20 rounds or so, plastic fouling needs to be brushed out. Another best thing--no smoke. How many times, when the smoke clears and there is no deer where you shot, have you wondered "which way did he go?"

The barrel comes with a rail attached. I have a Burris 30 mm 3-9x40 scope on mine, and it's pretty good in low light. With the fast expanding Barnes bullet, it tends to be a "dead right there" experience.

If you have deeper than average pockets, these folks are probably worth a look: http://badbullmuzzleloaders.com/

<edit: They offer several nice guns at $4k, and a utility rig for only $3K, and a really cool looking ramrod for $125. Of course they'll custom build whatever you want. My main objection to their design is the large rifle primer system. It appears needlessly complex--I really enjoy the convenience of the break-over shotgun design which puts the never-fail 209 shotgun primer where it is easily inserted and extracted. When loading my SML, you just leave a fired primer in place until powder and bullet are in the barrel, then replce the primer with a live one.>

Looked at my "possibles" bag (not nearly as crowded as it was for the CVA I used to have) and the load is 65 grains of IMR 4198. You can buy small plastic screw top tubes for preloading (gotta weigh charges--no dipping!). These are also useful for keeping bullet sabot combinations ready. I keep ten of each in my bag. A few for checking before the season, and hopefully one for killing a deer.

Special sabots are required. Those designed for black powder burn up and destroy accuracy. The purpose built ones look like they might be reused.

My friend sometimes leaves his Savage SML loaded between seasons. He has a mark on the ramrod so he doesn't double charge, and keeps a tie wrap on the triggerguard as a reminder. I don't do that, but he has encountered no corrosion problems.

I had to put a cheek pad on my stock to get my eye up high enough. It's not a pretty rifle, but it sure does the job.

Counting everything, I think I have a bit over $600 in my SML. $80 for a 12 ga "Pardner," $350 for the conversion (probably more by now, but that's what I paid.), $30 for the cheek pad, $20 for the sling, and $170 for the scope.

Any other SML owners? Again, not looking for debate on ethics, tradition flouting, traditional weapons, etc. If that's your thing, I respect that and admire your dedication to keeping tradition alive.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've have the savage smokeless, stainless with woodland green laminated stock. Tack driving accurate. Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X40.
Right now I'm using 250 grain Hornady XTP's, running 2450fps across my chrony, but I recently came across some Barnes solid copper to try this season.
I've shot deer at 210 yards without any problem, and do leave my last load in until the next season rolls around.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've have the savage smokeless, stainless with woodland green laminated stock. Tack driving accurate. Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X40.
Right now I'm using 250 grain Hornady XTP's, running 2450fps across my chrony, but I recently came across some Barnes solid copper to try this season.
I've shot deer at 210 yards without any problem, and do leave my last load in until the next season rolls around.

Ditto, except for: black synthetic stock, leupold 3x9, and 250gr Hornady SST's. It's hard to beat Savage's recommended cleaning advice, clean when groups start to open up, I'm sure this is the same for all of the SML's though.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really enjoy my Savage Smokeless Muzzle Loader. I am shooting a 250 or 270 grain Barnes TMZ (can't remember weight but its the boat tail ballistic tip) over a charge of H4198. Need to chrono it, but it truly is easily capable at 250 yards. Need to practice at 300 yards with it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and if you leave last years load in, shoot it out before season and reload. Last year I went to the range with it before season with last years load. I put a target up at 250 yards next to a guy that was putting one up. We walked back and I got out my MZ and he was shooting a .22-250. My first shot (last years load) fell short at 250 and the guy next to me snickered. He asked, are you really trying to shoot 250 with a muzzle loader? I replied yes I am. My next 5 shots took place and he shot of several more as I took a little longer to reload. When we walked back down to the targets and he saw my group of less than 2 MOA and he was all over an 11x17 target, he quipped "I am just messing around, when I am serious I go to Badlands to shoot 600 yards". I held my laughter in quietly.

I suppose last years load had drawn a little moisture and sizzled a little slower when touched off by the primer.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have a Savage. This last year season sneaked up on me quick and I didn't want to dig out my powder and scale so I used one of my left over speed loads from last year. Opening evening a nice shooter buck walks well within "kill him with a rock range". I pull the trigger and poof a sick sound of the primer doing all it can to push the bullet and unburned powder out the barrel. Made it all of 7 inches too. Just enough noise for the buck to go haywire. Needless to say I will only use fresh powder from now on.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Rossi BP 50 cal. myself. I've yet to shoot it, but the previous owner liked it a lot. once it cools down around it, its gonna be shot a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom