Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black snakes and other non-poisonous snakes are WELCOME in my hay barns!!!!

Rattlesnake hunting.....Hmmm.....when I was a kid, 5-6 years old, I went with my dad and his friends. I think it was up by Waynoka. Thats where the friends lived. I remember having leather leggings and a pair of long snake tongs and a gunny sack.

Cohiba

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a pic of this copperhead, not 10 feet from where the pic of the blacksnake was taken this morning. Be carefull out there in the woods chasing turkey and hunting shrooms.

You may note my ATV tracks in the area surrounding it.:D

[Broken External Image]

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wondered whether or not I'd have the guts for it. My Grandpa used to hunt somewhere West of Eufaula with a guy named Mutt Lang(no, not Shania Twain's ex. I'm not sure how to spell it actually). Mutt had more confidence(or less brains) around the things than anyone else Grandpa knew. He'd crawl in a den under a big bluff and come out backwards with one in each hand.

One of the funnier stories involved a rattler in a gunny sack being hauled over the shoulder of one of the guys hunting with them. The sack became a bit loose and the rattler popped his head out. Mutt told the guy to stop, went over and just slapped the hell out of the snake a few times, telling it to "get its ass back in that bag!"

The only time he ever saw Mutt scared, Mutt had one in a bag tied to his belt. It wasn't very happy to start with, it had been sunning and asleep when they woke it up. As they were walking back to the truck, the bag was bumping Mutt's leg, and the rattler bit through the bag and got its fangs stuck in Mutt's pant legs. Grandpa said Mutt was crying and carrying on, sure that the rattler had bit him and it was all over. They finally got the fangs loose from Mutt's pant legs, but it took him a few hours to get over it.

I never met Mutt, but Grandpa has some pictures of them holding some big rattlers, 5-6' long and thick bodied.

Also, you're welcome to think what you want of the stories. I'm just telling what Grandpa told me, and I haven't had any reason to disbelieve him yet.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to snake hunt around Ringling a lot when I lived out there. I'll never forget the first time I went with my old man friend. We were out in the middle of a wide open pasture with no rocks or anything that I would consider snakey habitat, I thought this old man's crazy. We walked up the back of this ol tank dam and the only feature in it was what looked like crack from water running down the back of the dam. Bob Earl told me get on the other side of the crack so I got in position. As soon as I did, he reached down in there with his grabbers and plucked out about a 3 foot snake, who was less than happy about it. As soon as that snake started rattling, the grass around our feet just came alive. All those snakes wanted to do was get back in the den, unfortunately I was in between the biggest snake I have seen to this date, and his den. He went right between my legs and into the hole. I got a handle on him with about two feet left sticking out of the hole, but he was dug in there pretty hard and I couldn't get him out without injury, so I let go. He was every bit as big around as a baseball. The whole time I never was really scared. Those snakes were never aggressive or try to chase you down like a cottonmouth, all they want to do is get away. I caught quite a few over the years with Bob Earl. They were really easy to skin and tan, so I made a lot of skins for people and still have a whole drawer full of tanned skins. Here is a pic of some after I lopped the heads off. I was MUCH more comfortable with them after the head was gone. But they still move for nearly an hour after you chop their heads off... which proves the are the spawn of Satan. I had to let them sit for an hour or so before I skinned them, creeped me out too bad holding a wiggling rattlesnake in my bare hands.

[Broken External Image]

crazyjseay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a pic of this copperhead, not 10 feet from where the pic of the blacksnake was taken this morning. Be carefull out there in the woods chasing turkey and hunting shrooms.

You may note my ATV tracks in the area surrounding it.:D

[Broken External Image]

Looks like a ratsnake, I saw quite a few of those last summer.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai254.photobucket.com_albums_hh93_jmfothergill_Farm4_2011003.jpg

Found this guy yesterday at the farm. Rat snake is what Dad called him.
He left the same direction he was when we found him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom