Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if Waynoka is different than the rest, but you are supposed to bring em in live. No one wants to buy an ol shot up snake!

Yes, they have to be alive when brought in.
Reason is, they are taken and the venom milked to make anti-venom in some cases.

Some of it is side shows, but whatever.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i am pretty sure this is not a copperhead bands do'nt go all the way around,head to long,and tails on copperheads are more blunted and the tip is dark green in color

Got a pic of this copperhead, not 10 feet from where the pic of the blacksnake was taken this morning. Be carefull out there in the woods chasing turkey and hunting shrooms.

You may note my ATV tracks in the area surrounding it.:D

[Broken External Image]

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My lease near Davis used to be loaded with snakes. Plenty of rattlers and copperheads. In the last three years we have seen one very small rattler, and one average copperhead. I think the hogs have eaten the others.

My dad ran a ranch out near Dalhart, TX many years ago. It came a spring cold front and he found what he thought was a frozen to death rattler about six feet long. He cut off the rattles, and later that day as he rode back toward home, the snake, sore tail and all, was crawling off. He killed it, but it really got his attention. CB

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We raised our kids on 600 acres in NW Georgia. One Sunday I came in from the overnight shift at the S.O. and went to bed while the wife tooks the kids to church. About half-way remember hearing them come in and somebody cranking the big mower. My wife came in and woke me about an hour later, shaking like a leaf and white as a sheet. All she could say was, "sn- sn- snake." Once I realized she and the kids weren't bit I went out to the edge of the woods where she had bailed off the mower and left it running. It was dry, as always, and the snakes would usually come down after dark to drink out of the pool. A black tailed Timber Rattler came out early and had the bad luck to begin his crawl out just as she came up to him. She thought she'd gone over a big limb because the mower bogged down a little before it started spittin' out snake. Never found his head nor tail...Figured that when the front tire rolled over him he balled up to get his warpaint on and the blades lopped off the tail and head. We collected pieces over about a 20 ft circle and stretched him as much as we could. Minus the missing parts we had about seven feet of snake. Her rules after that day were:

1 If it doesn't have legs it's a snake. :eek2:

2 If it doesn't have a sign hanging around its' neck sayin' it ain't a rattlesnake...then it IS a rattlesnake!
I hate snakes. Now that we live in New Hampshire I don't worry about them so much. I have seen ONE in the past 12 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ALL SNAKES in the U.S. that are poisonous have elliptical eye pupils.
Non-poisonous snakes have round ones.

This rule does not hold for snakes outside of the U.S....

Latest posts

Top Bottom