Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A rule of thumb on snakes is, if the tail is blunt like a pencil eraser it's venomous. If the tail is sharp like a pencil lead it's not.

I'm not seeing a blunt tail on this copperhead.

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_copperhead.jpg

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
crg1372, compare the copperhead tail's bluntness to the rat snake in the thread above or the black chickensnake on page one. Even though the copperhead's tail does come to a point it doesn't have that same sharpened pencil needle point look but like dennishoddy said above the US poisonous snakes have elliptical eye pupils(cat like) while the non-poisonous snakes have round pupil (in the center of the eye). The eye's are really the best way to help identify the difference between the two.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
crg1372, compare the copperhead tail's bluntness to the rat snake in the thread above or the black chickensnake on page one. Even though the copperhead's tail does come to a point it doesn't have that same sharpened pencil needle point look but like dennishoddy said above the US poisonous snakes have elliptical eye pupils(cat like) while the non-poisonous snakes have round pupil (in the center of the eye). The eye's are really the best way to help identify the difference between the two.

I know very well about the eliptical eyes of poisonous snakes here in the U.S. If you look at what I quoted, the tail of the copperhead, and cottonmouth aren't blunted like whats stated in the quote. A more accurate description would be that their tails are more plump. Not blunted like a pencil eraser.

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"... like dennishoddy said above the US poisonous snakes have elliptical eye pupils(cat like) while the non-poisonous snakes have round pupil..."

Hey guys, don't assume that all poisonous snakes in the U. S. are pit vipers (elliptical eye pupils), they are not. As you read this, I bet you already thought of the one, round eyed ultra-poisonous snake in the U.S.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a pic of this copperhead, not 10 feet from where the pic of the blacksnake was taken this morning. Be carefull out there in the woods chasing turkey and hunting shrooms.

You may note my ATV tracks in the area surrounding it.:D

[Broken External Image]

How many times did you have to back over him to get him to pose like that? ;)

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not a copperhead. It is a juvenile Black Rat Snake (aka:Texas Rat Snake, Chicken Snake). The only way to positively identify a venomous snake (Vieridae) from a non-venomous snake (Colubridae or Boidae) is by the scale plates on the bottom of the tail, behind the anal vent. This does not apply for identifying non-native species or coral snakes which are in the order of Elapidae, which include cobras. Non-native constrictors also have a "cat pupil", so you can see the "eye thing" does not work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom