Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not seeing a blunt tail on this copperhead.

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_copperhead.jpg

This is an adult Copperhead. A juvenile would have a Chartreuse or Yellow tip at the end of the tail.

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a pic of this copperhead, not 10 feet from where the pic of the blacksnake was taken this morning. Be carefull out there in the woods chasing turkey and hunting shrooms.

You may note my ATV tracks in the area surrounding it.:D

[Broken External Image]

That's not a copperhead. It is a juvenile Black Rat Snake (aka:Texas Rat Snake, Chicken Snake). The only way to positively identify a venomous snake (Vieridae) from a non-venomous snake (Colubridae or Boidae) is by the scale plates on the bottom of the tail, behind the anal vent. This does not apply for identifying non-native species or coral snakes which are in the order of Elapidae, which include cobras. Non-native constrictors also have a "cat pupil", so you can see the "eye thing" does not work.

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some we've picked up around the Tulsa area ...

Columbia Red Tail Boa recovered at 61st & Riverside in Tulsa, crossing the road.
ai26.photobucket.com_albums_c129_PrideofTexas_Wildlife_20Rescued_100_0749.jpg

Columbia Red Tail Boa recovered from another Tulsa back yard.
ai26.photobucket.com_albums_c129_PrideofTexas_Wildlife_20Rescued_100_3376.jpg

Lined Snake removed from a AC vent in a Tulsa home. The vent was 10' above the floor.
[Broken External Image]

Rough Earth Snake removed from a laundry room in Broken Arrow, OK
[Broken External Image]

Banded water Snake removed from a Tulsa kitchen.
[Broken External Image]

North American alligator on display in Claremore, OK
[Broken External Image]

Last edited by a moderator:

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have an irrational fear of snakes. How do I prevent a snake from getting into my apartment? I also have a house cat, should I be worried about her safety if a snake somehow gets in?

My kitty never leaves my house. She's also never seen a snake before, since she's from Hawaii (as am I).

Reginald Murray

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your cat should be fine. I would be more worried about the cat capturing a snake to bring to you as a trophy. I cannot tell you how to prevent the snakes from gaining access, unless I was able to view the structure. I can tell you however, that "Snake Away" does NOT work, and is dangerous to your cat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom